DRZ Diet Questions (Please Advise)

I'm gradually putting my 'S' model through the Jenny Craig program. Here's an accumulation of the items I have removed, so far...

drzweightloss.jpg

(Photo will be updated as the junk piles up) :ride:

Also...

I've removed the cooling fan, since the north-eastern coastal area where I live and ride is not the hottest climate on the continent, by a long shot. I don't commute or get caught in traffic jams, and I've never once seen or heard the fan cut in on my bike.

That having been said, is it wise to run the bike without the cooling fan before I install the 'E' restrictor inplace of the 'S' thermostat?

Thanks in advance for any information.

:crazy:

Hack saw was the special tool i used to remove the helmet lock. I also removed the chain guard taps on the swing arm.

I 've had the fan on and off. Last weekend in a slow,rocky,sandy creek bed (warm day ,80+) my fan came on a few times.I guess I'm leaving it on for the summer.

What does all that removed gear weigh?

My guess is only ten or twelve pounds at best. But it all helps keep 'Oprah' feelin' trim. When I get the helmet lock off, that should remove another pound or two.

Chris...

When you had the fan off for awhile, did you bother with removing the thermostat?

My buddy with the KLX400R says the 'E' models have a continuous flow restrictor, inplace of the 'S' model's thermostat, but my local dealer says their diagram shows the 'E' just has an empty thermostat housing. Anyone know what the real deal is on that score?

One good place to shave off weigth is the headlight assembly. Chack out how it's done in other enduros, no heavy metal gages and huge lights. Check out my garage, my bike has a Husaberg H4 headlight. It's light and installation is very easy, and I still have a good head light

My guess is only ten or twelve pounds at best. But it all helps keep 'Oprah' feelin' trim. When I get the helmet lock off, that should remove another pound or two.

Chris...

When you had the fan off for awhile, did you bother with removing the thermostat?

My buddy with the KLX400R says the 'E' models have a continuous flow restrictor, inplace of the 'S' model's thermostat, but my local dealer says their diagram shows the 'E' just has an empty thermostat housing. Anyone know what the real deal is on that score?

no restrictor.

just get a E model housing gasket.

Cool...and thanks, Chris...

Guess I'll leave the fan off the bike until my 'E' t-stat housing gasket arrives. I was considering putting it back on until then, but it doesn't really get very hot around here until mid July, anyhow.

Hey Chris...

You were right. The hacksaw was the best tool for the job of removing the helmet lock, because it nixxed the bracket that held it to the frame, too...

helmetlock.jpg

That's one more chunk-o-fudge eliminated.

I was also going to remove the very heavy-looking helmet lock, but it looks like a special tool is required. Looks like some kind of torx or allen head, but with a raised center section. Anyone know the trick to removal?

Security Torx bit...Harbor Freight has some sets for $10 or so, other places should too. I think the sets from Harbor Freight also have the bits to take the security-bolted soap dispensers from work... :crazy:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93388

Hey Chris...

You were right. The hacksaw was the best tool for the job of removing the helmet lock, because it nixxed the bracket that held it to the frame, too...

helmetlock.jpg

That's one more chunk-o-fudge eliminated.

yeah LOL, Thats one hi up chuck o' weight.I also installed a KTM battery(almost 2 lbs. lighter),smaller turnsignals and taillight(acerbis)lighter mirror,bars,removed all unnecessary switches,counter-shaft cover,ect......

That's true... the DRZs are just plain top-heavy.

And the final solution for me, will probably be to buy a 2007 WR450, next year, and plate it. They are supposed to be coming out with an alloy frame model, next year. The bike should come in at about 240 pounds and 51 hp, right out of the box.

That's true... the DRZs are just plain top-heavy.

And the final solution for me, will probably be to buy a 2007 WR450, next year, and plate it. They are supposed to be coming out with an alloy frame model, next year. The bike should come in at about 240 pounds and 51 hp, right out of the box.

Can you "plate" that WR ? I also have a '05 KTM 525, and i still like my DRZ for a majority of my type of riding..

Yep...Where I live you can plate ANYTHING.

As a matter of fact, one of my buddies, who previously rode around with us on an ancient XR350, is picking up his brand spanking new 'plated' 2006 WR450 this afternoon. Possibly even as we speak.

I tried to talk him into buying my DRZ, and letting me buy the WR450. He's too smart to let that happen, unfortunately.

:ride: