Rekluse and rear brake conversion report!!

I have installed a rekluse and put a magura hydraulic clutch set up on the bars to operate my rear brake, hence eliminating my foot brake.

We all know how a rekluse works, don't we!! so I will comment on the brake only.

What I have noticed.

1-When the motor is under a heavy load it is sometimes difficult to change gears with the rekluse, normally going down hills.

With the new rear brake I find I can use it like a clutch, a very quick flick of the lever will allow a nice smooth gear change.

2- When riding on open tracks like firetrails or fast flowing single track, I find it much easier to stand up around corners, as I would often sit down prior to the conversion to get ready to brake, as I found having to use the foot brake would "upset" my balance/position a little, now it doesn't matter if I'm standing or sitting.

3-I have also found it allows me to approach righthand corners/turns much faster and can over shoot the corner/turn and a quick flick of the hand brake will bring the rear end around nicely.

4-Stopping on steep rocky up-hills is no longer a problem, I can use both feet to steady myself, and taking off again is a lot easier with the rekluse/brake combo.

5-Down hills are much easier too, on steep rocky and rutted, "turn your bike off" type down hills, most people sit down to balance the bike and allow easy access to the rear foot brake, I can go alot faster then before as I can use both feet to steady myself and "paddle" the bike between rocks whilst using the handbrake.

Summary-

I found no downsides to doing the conversion as of yet, but have found plenty of positives, I enjoy riding my bike alot more and it is easier to ride in every situation I have come across so far.

If you are thinking of doing this conversion, I would say go for it.

Without the rekluse it cost me $392 AU$ to do, that includes the clutch, fluids($37for 500mls) and braided line.

sounds good

where did you get it for that price? ebay? does it include the clutch kit, perch adjuster ect?

did it take long to install the unit?

i live in melbourne

That price only includes the brake set up, not the rekluse.

I got the magura clutch(now brake) from Ballards the braided line is from Goodridge,(ordered through Ballards)

I'm using dot5 silicon based fluid, available from Harley shops.

It took 20 mins to install the brake set up.

• 8 months later...

Greg have you stuck with this set-up? Do you get a good solid feel and pull from the transformed clutch to brake lever set-up?

I've never played around with a hydraulic clutch so I cant picture the exact piece. Can you run a pressure switch to operate a brake light from it?

Greg have you stuck with this set-up? Do you get a good solid feel and pull from the transformed clutch to brake lever set-up?

I've never played around with a hydraulic clutch so I cant picture the exact piece. Can you run a pressure switch to operate a brake light from it?

Yes I have stuck with it, I won't go back to the foot brake.

The feel is very good and predictable, the wheel can be locked with one finger if needed.

Pressure switch.........not sure if I could or not, never bothered to try.