Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xcape

'06 12 tooth sprocket fit?

13 posts in this topic

Anyone run a 12 tooth front? does it fit right? Is there abnormal wear on swingarm guard?

I rode tight trails last weekend for the first time and the gearing is crazy tall. My buddies bike was in second gear and I was having to pull in the clutch in first so as not to run into him.

I DON'T WANT HAVE A RECLUSE DISCUSSION :crazy:

I dont have the cash nor do I mind operating a clutch thanx.

I was thinking of 12 / 51 ? Then run a 13 (stock) on the track.

Sounds like you need to pass your buddy so you can ride faster. :crazy:

Seriously, I wouldn't use a 12, the 13 is hard enough on the front chain slider. I ran a 15 on my '03 and I'm planning on going to a 14 on my '06. The smaller cs sprockets are not only harder on the slider, they're harder on the chain and sprocket itself too.

A thought on the clutch issue, don't be afraid to use it. I've seen some comments on here about not using the clutch, I don't agree with the only using the clutch for starting and stopping theory. The clutch is a powerful tool, I think a lot of riders don't use it enough. Even on a 4 stroke. I use mine constantly, and I don't mean abuse either, my clutches usually last at least 2 years. I use it to come out of turns faster, go into turns faster, and a quick jab before jumping will help you jump further if you have to clear something. (That's actually why I personally don't like Recluse clutches.)

Sorry, the clutch comments weren't meant for you directly, more of a general comment to the TT community. I didn't mean you specifically didn't use the clutch enough, your comment about using it just made me think about what others had said on the subject.

Hey, did I just hijack a thread?:ride:

Yep, doing allot of clutch work up tight/steep climbs. But would be nice on the twisty low speed stuff not to have to coast all the time. Couldn't pass my buddy if I wanted to way better rider than me on the trails.

Guess I'll be changing the rear sprocket then I'll order a 52 for the trail and switch back to stock for the track.

What is the biggest rear you can run?

I am running a 12 on my 06. It helps a lot in the tight stuff

I am running a 12 on my 06. It helps a lot in the tight stuff

have you noticed any unusual wear? how long have you used a 12 toooth?

I just ran a hare scramble here in Florida. Bumped up to 'A' class to Gage my new found speed on my 06 LE. I went with a 12 tooth . the difference is when my buddies, experienced A riders ,were stalling there 450's because the gearing was too tall for the tight stuff, I was cutting through the trees like mad. I did loose Little top end but 95% of the ride is 1st 2nd almost never 3rd gear.

I will be switching back to the 13 tooth for tomorrows motocross ride at countyline in panama city. 100' table ,long straights, clay with a little sand...I'm gettin a chubby already. I am going to leave the 110' double table alone.

I have a 12-52 on my 06. I love it. She is a woods weapon, too bad I am not. :ride: Slider wear is increased but so is my fun factor so I really dont care. :crazy: Sliders are replaceable. I had the 12T on my WR for almost a year with no problems either.

Seriously, I wouldn't use a 12, the 13 is hard enough on the front chain slider.

Ditto....

If it wears out the slider I will just buy another. Not a big deal.

Aside from eating your chain slider - A front sprocket with fewer teeth works the chain harder and will rob power - The chain has to curl more to match the smaller diameter. Also harder/more torque on your countershaft - Possibly resulting in a ruined seal or at extreme, a bent countershaft.

I would maybe goto a 13 tooth and/or add more teeth in the rear - No way I would ever run a 12 tooth...especailly on a new 06.

Just my .02

Aside from eating your chain slider - A front sprocket with fewer teeth works the chain harder and will rob power - The chain has to curl more to match the smaller diameter. Also harder/more torque on your countershaft - Possibly resulting in a ruined seal or at extreme, a bent countershaft.

I would maybe goto a 13 tooth and/or add more teeth in the rear - No way I would ever run a 12 tooth...especailly on a new 06.

Just my .02

This ever been proven on a dyno? All I know is my bike works much better for me with a 12 tooth. My bike, I set it up the way I like it.