only starts with hot-start lever

Well I was playing with my carb and checking the valves yesterday, and after I put everything back together it only starts with the hot-start lever pulled. After it starts, if I let go of the lever it idles low and soon stalls. If I pull the lever again it idles up high like it normally would if the choke was pulled. Any suggestions?

Did you pull the slide out of the carb? If so, check the orientation of the plate as you may have it in upside down. If not, check your idle setting, jets and carb boots...SC

What exactly does this hot start device do? it may help in the diagnosis?

What exactly does this hot start device do? it may help in the diagnosis?

The hot start is opposite of a choke. Your choke richens your mixture, where as the hot start leans the mixture.

Its kind of really hard to say, cause my bike is really lean to begin with, so if I pull my hot start at idle it will die from starvation. But yours might be richer and you just need to adjust your idle. You ever hear a lawn mower die just as its running out of gas? It will actually increase in rpms for a sec or two because of the lean mixture. Well its just a thought, or you put it back together wrong :crazy:

It's actually set up pretty lean, with stock jetting, aside from the #70 starter jet I put in, and I dropped the clip one spot from the 4th to 5th notch on the needle, (the rest of my rich jets were backordered.) I'm stumped, would tightening the fuel screw be a good first step?

Well it should be in your pilot circuit. Its either getting to much fuel or not enough air.

It sounds like you are set too rich on the pilot circuit. When you have it running, turn the fuel screw in to see if it helps. This will lean the pilot cicuit and tell you if the pilot jet is too rich. If the bike idles best at less than 3/4 turns out on the fuel screw, the pilot is too rich and you need to go a step leaner.

Whilst on this subject of hotstart setup and jetting, I have a question. Once my bike is nicely warmed up after about a 5 min ride, if I pull in the hotstart lever and the revs rise. Does this suggest that my pilot circuit is too rich. (the bike has no apparently jetting issues across the rev range).

Nigel

Thanks for the explination of the hotstart but how does it lean out the carb? what circuit does it affect? and yeah, sounds like you trouble is in the pilot circuit.

Thanks for the explination of the hotstart but how does it lean out the carb? what circuit does it affect? and yeah, sounds like you trouble is in the pilot circuit.

The hot start cable is connected to a plunger in the carb. When you pull the lever, the plunger opens up and allows fresh air into the carb to lean out the mixture. It does the exact opposite of a choke.

AUS_WR450 - Whilst on this subject of hotstart setup and jetting, I have a question. Once my bike is nicely warmed up after about a 5 min ride, if I pull in the hotstart lever and the revs rise. Does this suggest that my pilot circuit is too rich. (the bike has no apparently jetting issues across the rev range).

Nigel

This could be an indication that the pilot is set too rich. Try turning the fuel screw in a 1/4 turn at a time while it's nice and warmed up and idling and see if the rpms go up. Refer to the sticky at the top of the jetting forum to get the pilot jet and fuel screw tuned up. Having this circuit tuned well will aid in starting (hot or cold) as well as give you better low end response.