Rear Tires

I found a really good deal on some new dunlop 952's. There are two sizes, 120-90-18 and 110-90-18. I was wondering which one i should go with. I ride some motocross tracks, gravel, single track, harescrambles, etc. Any advice on pro's and con's of each width would be great. Also, does anyone know for sure that the 120-90-18 will clear everything (swingarm, etc)??

I run dunlop 952's on my bikes, I go with the 120 on the 450, and the 110 on the 250.

The 110 is a phisically smaller tyre than the 120. Is has less diameter, less height and less width. It also weighs less. The 120 provides greater traction.

Use either. My 450 has enough power to harness the extra traction of the 120, and frequently over come it!!!

You will find nearly everyone uses a 120 on their 450. Nothing wrong with using a 110 though. It is up to you.

The 952's are the best tyres I have ever used, and no other tyre will touch my bikes, front or back. You will be extra happy with them!

The only difference I've noticed is that the 120's don't track as well on hard packed turns. The 120's width gives a little better traction in the sand and soft stuff.

The 120 will fit without any problems.

Go Pokes! :crazy:

Jerry

The stock 110/100 is the same as a 120/90. The first number is the width and the second is the height ratio. The key is that if the second number is 100 (American sizing), then the width is across the casing (narrower than the knobs). If the second number is less than 100, like 90 (European sizing), the width is across the knobs. The sidewall height in mm is the product of the 2 numbers divided by 100: 110x100/100 = 110 mm. 120x90 = 108 mm. Same height.

I replaced my stock 80/100 with a 90/90 and it was identical.

I am now onto my 3rd 952 and i'm very happy with it. The 120 is the way to go with the 450 and it will be interesting to see what you think of the 'wear' characteristics. I noticed that i can get a lot of k's from one of these things and i only change to S12's during the winter for a few months.

Sorry for spewing bad info (I try not to do that) :ride:

Hmmm. Measured both the 80/100 and 90/90 when mounted and were very close :crazy:

If someone will explain, I will listen :ride:

You are sort of right, you know what the numbers mean. But the part about American (actually Japanese!? ) and European sizing is wrong.

For an example, Dunlop make tyres in both 110/90 and 110/100 sizes. They don't use two different methods of measurement.

You also have to take into account if the measurements are for a 1.85" rim or 2.15" rim. This makes a big difference.

You also have to take into account if the measurements are for a 1.85" rim or 2.15" rim. This makes a big difference.
Please explain why this makes a difference. :crazy:

The thing that kills me, though, is that the width is in mm (and, therefore the sidewall height), but the rim size is in inches. Which is it, standard or metric? :ride: Make up your mind. :ride:

Please explain why this makes a difference. :crazy:

Because if you put a smaller tire on a bigger rim, you get a wider tire with less height. This effects the handling/tire performance big time.