Question about the life span of a WR450

Greetings,

Basically my question is about how long a WR450 engine lives with a life of casual trial riding - nothing extreme as competition. I'm planning on a compression check after I break in my new engine (05) but I'm still wondering how long the heads, piston rings, pistons, cylinders, etc live?

I’m sure as I put miles on the bike I’m agonna figure it out but I’m still wondering.

:crazy:

Thanks!

Keith

’05 WR450F

Awesome numbers guys, are these rigs bone stock or do they have the free type mods done?

Free mods, not so free mods..........

It doesn't really matter if stock or not, they are super bikes!

Just frequent oil changes. Every 5 engine hrs or so for me.

talked to a dealer abotu changing oil and they said every 500-800km depending on conditions and how hard you ride.......5 hours seems a little much, they said it's better not to change it as much as i was previously (every 200km)

5 engine hours! That is engine running time!

That is about 4 tanks of fuel's worth of riding.

That is like 400 to 500kms to me, or half what Yamaha recommends, which is way too long to leave your oil changes IMO. Yamaha recommend 10 hour oil changes for their YZF's.

You put 5wt. oil in your bike? Even if it is synthetic, that sounds a little iffy to me.

That does sound low. I use 15w50 full synth, which seems to work very well for cold starts and hot summer days.

M.

Wow, every 5 hours? that seems a little often to me but hey if it keeps her together longer it may be worth it.

Yeah Matty is right every weekend you need to dump the oil and put in fresh it is just a quart and it gets broken down and thins out quickly, :crazy: