Stock Chain of 06

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they break .....and the risk is a nice hole in your cases. Get rid of it....it's JUNK!

Ok, now I'm getting worried. I've only done 1.2hrs of riding and my chain doesn't need adjusting yet. A bit of stretching I don't really mind, but I definitely don't want it to break! How many people here have broken the stock chain or heard of it breaking on the '06 YZ450?

Curious, I know the X-ring is better because it is completely sealed, but it is really worth the extra $$.

The x-ring doesn't sap as much power as the o-ring chains coz there's less drag in the links. If you want no drag which means more power, use a standard chain. A standard chain wears out quicker coz dirt gets in and grinds away at the chain, which is also known as stretching.

The x-ring doesn't sap as much power as the o-ring chains coz there's less drag in the links. If you want no drag which means more power, use a standard chain. A standard chain wears out quicker coz dirt gets in and grinds away at the chain, which is also known as stretching.

I see...looks like I'll just save up my pennies and splurge for the x-ring next time.

As for the original question (sorry I sort of highjacked your thread for a bit), I can't say that I have heard of the stock 06 chain breaking, but I have heard of having to adjust it quite frequently due to stretching. The couple guys I know that are running around on 06's have already changed them because they got frusterated (sp?) adjusting all the time. Hope that helps.

they break .....and the risk is a nice hole in your cases. Get rid of it....it's JUNK!

I have to say that is totally incorrect, they do not break a lot. Your lack of attention to your stock chain allows it to stretch to a point where it will get caught or bound up then it breaks and puts a hole in your case. So who is at fault there? The inanimate object that is your motorcycle or the rider who fails to pay attention and maintain his motorcycle?

That being said the stock chain does stretch quickly in the 1st few hours even to a point where you may have to adjust it in the 1st 10 minutes even multiple times. If you keep it adjusted correctly there will be little to no issues until its time to replace. I change mine out like the others now because the gold xring stretches far less if at all initially allowing me to keep a shorter wheelbase and it is one less thing for me to worry about.

I would hazard to guess 90 % of all failures are maintenance related or a lack of pre ride inspection.. so congrats on your new 06 keep her well maintained.

I have to say that is totally incorrect, they do not break a lot. Your lack of attention to your stock chain allows it to stretch to a point where it will get caught or bound up then it breaks and puts a hole in your case. So who is at fault there? .

Not sure if your using the "your" and "you" in the generic sense because you have no idea how "I" or "anyone" maintains their bike. Besides I said they break (which they do) I did not say they break "a lot".

So if it is user error, why don't good chains break too? Because like you said, it is not the chain, it's poor maintanence.

It never ceases to amaze me how people assume they know how people use their bike and how they maintain it. They make false unfounded assumptions so they can defend a $29 OEM chain. Amazing.....

Satch, the funny part is this. Even at discounted prices new sprokets are anywhere from 50-75 bucks for anything even halfway decent. An excellent chain can be bought for about 35.00. I paid 47.00 last week for a gold DID.

The good chain will allow th esprokets to last. The cheap chain wears everything out. Still some insist on running it.

I dont care how often the stock crap breaks. About the time it happens to "YOU" it is once too often. The broken chain damage gets expensive.

Still, you have the satisfaction in knowing you were able to use the stock chain to its fullest.

Satch, while growing up I lived close to a family that was slightly odd. They always stockpiled HUGE amounts of rice. Weavels would invade the rice. the family taught me that boiling the rice would kill the weavles and they would rise to the top. You the scouped them out with a big spoon.

I imagine these folks would have loved stock Yamaha chains.

Not sure if your using the "your" and "you" in the generic sense because you have no idea how "I" or "anyone" maintains their bike. Besides I said they break (which they do) I did not say they break "a lot".

So if it is user error, why don't good chains break too? Because like you said, it is not the chain, it's poor maintanence.

It never ceases to amaze me how people assume they know how people use their bike and how they maintain it. They make false unfounded assumptions so they can defend a $29 OEM chain. Amazing.....

Well my bad you did not say a lot. and yes you /your was generic. The higher quality / tensile strength chains do not require as much maintenance as a stock chain because they do not stretch nearly as much. When the chain stretches outside the max adjustment range they are susceptible to failure.

I saw a stock chain break (threw the ML) in 30 minutes of use at the track once. I put a new clip on it for the kid and let me tell you the chain had so much slack I was able to put the new ML on without loosening the wheel and adjusting it in. So tell me, what was the cause of the chain failure? a poor chain or lack of attention to the chain adjustment?

Well i am picking my bike up today, so now i can start worrying about chains. When you say maintenence, what do you mean. I never pay much attention to mine except for putting chain lube on it and keeping it at the proper slack. what else is there to do? :crazy::ride: