Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
metalmulisha

YZ400F Fuel Tank Probs..

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys went to take off my right hand radiator shroud today and one bolt just spins in the housing. You can feel the little copper/brass square insert spining in the tank housing. Any ideas how to get it out and then fix it, any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Can't help getting it out, but, heres what I did to fix or repair. You know those plastic type rivots used in automobiles for dashboard and door moldings, They come in different lengeths and thicknesses. I push these into the holes where the bolt used to be, They hold very well, except when freeway speeds reach 75 or better ( bike in bed of truck) I use to carry spares so if and when I lost a bolt anywhere in the plastic, I just pop these thing in and away I go. One good advantage of these things, is when you unfortunately meet an unmoveable object they rip out W/O totalling your plastics. If all you need is to replace one bolt then this would be an ideal fix for you.

this is what i had to do on mine it messed up my shroud when i took it off and also it had aftermarket plastic ( no metal inserts ) basiclly cut the shroud with a utility knife . then get a good needle nose vise grips too grab the flats of the insert , u can cut away at the plastic to get a decent hold on it with the vise grips then try to break it loose if it comes out then get piece of threaded rod and make a stud 4 or 5 threads longer than the the bolt u took out . on one end of the stud cut a slot into with a small file or a dremel and put the stud back in place back in place of the bolt and then use a flanged nut to hold it all together and when u take off the shroud next time u and use a screwdriver to hold the stud to break loose the nut . it worked on my wr for years! good luck