Anybody try a 2.50 rear rim size on the 650R?

As far as I know the main benefit is that you get more tread on the ground. With more tread in contact, the tire might last a bit longer. With the wider rim the tire is flatter, as the space between the beads is a little bigger. I don't think it's too big of an effect. If my rear rim ever fails, I'll be getting a 2.50 rim for these reasons.

Chris, I wasn't to sure what you were really asking since a stock XR650R comes with the 2.50" DID rim. So all of us have tried the 2.5 rim if we bought our bikes with factory rims. The 2.15 Excel seems to be the rim of choice for the guys I ride with and that's what I run now. They last longer than the 2.5 DID's for sure but I'm not sure if it's because they are Excels or if they are narrower.

Chris, I wasn't to sure what you were really asking since a stock XR650R comes with the 2.50" DID rim. So all of us have tried the 2.5 rim if we bought our bikes with factory rims. The 2.15 Excel seems to be the rim of choice for the guys I ride with and that's what I run now. They last longer than the 2.5 DID's for sure but I'm not sure if it's because they are Excels or if they are narrower.

I thought the rear was a 2.15....hmmmmm.....shoulda went with the 2.5 then. Ahhhh well, maybe the smaller rim will round the tire some more, and make it corner better. :crazy: I guess we'll see!

For sure a stock XR650R comes with a 2.15" wide rear rim as do all the CR's and CRF's. 2.50" is mostly an after market thing.

http://xr650r.borynack.com/Video/hill..wmv holy monkey chickens that a sick hillclimb! :ride::ride::crazy:

Thanks, I was trying to climb it in fourth but, as you can see it gets a little to squirly. At 60~70mph the hit of the change of the hill really makes for an unstable transfer. That is with the engine being 650cc on the 680cc bike it can pull that hill much better.

For sure a stock XR650R comes with a 2.15" wide rear rim as do all the CR's and CRF's. 2.50" is mostly an after market thing.

My bad (maybe not) but the stock XR650R rim measures approx 3 1/4" to the outside of the rim edge and 2 1/2" measured inside the rim (tire beed). I don't know if mine is a freak but it lookes the same as the other stockers I have seen and yes, it's stamped 18" X 2.15". My stock CRF450 rear rim (also a 2.15) measures 2 7/8" on the outside of the rim and 2 1/4" on the bead on the inside of the rim. My Excel 18" X 2.15" measures the same as my CRF450 or 2 7/8" on the outside and 2 1/4" on ther inside.

So...if you have a stock rear rim, go measure it. Maybe mine is a freak but I don't think so.