Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
almostinvincible119

05/06 forks

9 posts in this topic

anyone know where i can buy 05 or 06 front forks for my 2003 yz450f?
eBay. The '04 fork is a significant upgrade, too, although not as much so as the later ones. Still, they're much better.

The diameter of the forks changed from '03 to '04 on YZ's. You would need to change out triple clamps also! Keep this in mind.

eBay. The '04 fork is a significant upgrade, too, although not as much so as the later ones. Still, they're much better.

GRAY, what do we need to do that switchout? The whole front end including wheel , the triples or just the forks ?

I'm still jonesing on the WR tranny. :crazy:

The front wheel /axle/spacers is unchanged from about '02 all the way through '06. To upgrade an '03, you need the upper and lower clamps ('04/'05 are interchangeable, the '06 is 2mm wider) and the forks. It all very simply bolts up like it belongs there.

The 2mm extra width in the '06 is made up for in the position of the axle lugs on the '06 fork; the entire wheel, etc., is the same as yours.

You can use forks from a 250F as well, but you'll need springs, and the 250F stem is about 12mm shorter, so you'll need to swap yours into the clamps. Otherwise, the 250F clamps will work, too.

i'm pretty sure they changed the tube dia. for 06 48's(larger) compared to the 05 48's,they also widened the space between the tubes,i'm not sure if they made up the difference with the wheel spacers or on the fork legs as i believe the wheel is the same. so your probly gonna need at least the clamps and stem from the 06 (i've been told that the 06 stem will work all the back to 03 ?) and then figure out the rest down below,if were buying them i would make sure to get the spacers and axle,just in case :crazy:

The 2mm extra width in the '06 is made up for in the position of the axle lugs on the '06 fork

so its the same spacers,the difference is made up in the lugs? then i guess the tube dia wouldn't matter as they'd only work in 06 clamps anyway :crazy: sorry gray we posted about the same time

sorry gray we posted about the same time
That happens. Concurring opinions add credibility, anyway.

I'm not aware of any external diameter differences in the outer tubes between the '06 and '05, although you may be right. But as you say, they have to be in the right clamps anyway, so it doesn't matter. The parts catalog lists the same hub/bearings/axle/spacers for all 450's from at least '03 to '06. The lugs are simply moved inboard 1mm each on the fork legs.