Snorkel removal

Should I remove the snorkel ? It doesn't seem to run as well as having it in there. I've done Dave's mods 55/158 jets, drill slide, shim needle, smog delete, 2-1/2 turns, stock everything else. I'm at 720 feet above sea level in good old Illinois.

Starting with the snorkel, remove it, then put in a foam filter (UNI or KN), you've done the carb mods, then open up the exhaust with an aftermarket pipe or take out the stock baffle.

You need to open up the whole pathway.

The fuel air mix always needs to be the same so when you allow more fuel in the carb mods you need to allow more air in and more exhaust out. More fuel = more air. I use the same jet size you're using but I'm at 3800'. So you may want to look at adding a jet size at some point depending upon how your spark plug looks, should be a nice brown color (not black or white).

Wait for more replies to your post though, I can't say your jets are wrong, just may still be a little lean based on my experience here in the high plains.

Should I remove the snorkel ? It doesn't seem to run as well as having it in there. I've done Dave's mods 55/158 jets, drill slide, shim needle, smog delete, 2-1/2 turns, stock everything else. I'm at 720 feet above sea level in good old Illinois.

As stated, pay attention to your plug. If that is good and you are getting a healthy burn, you can leave the snorkel in if it runs better. There's a lot of variables here, and Dave's mods, as great as they are, are a guideline or a starting point to tune from.

For example, I used a 162 Main, no snorkel, and I am at 600' ASL.

Tweak it for your locale. Your plug is your guide (as well as feeling/hearing how she runs)

defintely complete your mods by removing the snorkle and opening the exhaust. I did not "feel" much difference on my bike until I replaced the stock exhaust with a white brothers E2 - once everything was complementing each other - wow! totally different bike, pulls HARD, better power everywhere and runs much cooler than stock.

I was very reluctant to do the mods on my new toy (2005 XR650L) but the motorhead in me knew it was the right thing to do, and once I did - I was and am totally impressed, there is absolutely NO comparison between a stock corked XR650L and an uncorked one, it becomes a totally different engine that is able to perform as it was intended to.

defintely complete your mods by removing the snorkle and opening the exhaust. I did not "feel" much difference on my bike until I replaced the stock exhaust with a white brothers E2 - once everything was complementing each other - wow! totally different bike, pulls HARD, better power everywhere and runs much cooler than stock.

I was very reluctant to do the mods on my new toy (2005 XR650L) but the motorhead in me knew it was the right thing to do, and once I did - I was and am totally impressed, there is absolutely NO comparison between a stock corked XR650L and an uncorked one, it becomes a totally different engine that is able to perform as it was intended to.

Yeah! what he said! :crazy: