HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seabass

Clutch Replacement Tips

10 posts in this topic

Anything tricky I should be aware of when changing the steel/ friction plates? The only thing I'm really worried about is the clutch cable. Do I have to loosen it before I change the plates, or leave it as is and then adjust it after I put the new plates in? :thumbsup:

I'm ready to do mine also, is it as simple as it seems.....

I bought a clutch holding tool, is that all I'll need....

Never been in there :thumbsup:

On sportbikes you have to soak the plates in oil first or they wear quickly. Sorry, that's all I got.

Anything tricky I should be aware of when changing the steel/ friction plates? The only thing I'm really worried about is the clutch cable. Do I have to loosen it before I change the plates, or leave it as is and then adjust it after I put the new plates in? :crazy:

Just loosen it off if you are just going to change the plates.

Put them back in the same order they came out!

On sportbikes you have to soak the plates in oil first or they wear quickly. Sorry, that's all I got.

Yes, soak the new friction plates in oil, overnight. Or they have a very hard time disengaging when you pull the clutch lever in.

Make sure to loosen and re-tighten the pressure plate bolts in the cross star pattern. And dont forget to re adjust the cable tension after you're done.

I have a tip!!!

Use a torque wrench on the bolts/springs for the pressure plate. :crazy: I broke a bolt off and am waiting on a new inner hub $60 :ride:

While your in there measure your springs and see if they are near the limit.....or just order new yamaha springs to be safe....I think they are only a couple bucks each. Don't put in aftermarket springs.

I ordered the friction plates and there are 2 different part numbers for the stock clutch? Does this sound right...?

Oh Good! Its actually the clutch plates, 3 one type, 4 another. 2005 Wr450

The manual states moving the thin friction plates to the outside, does this buy you some more time on a worn clutch?