Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Teamclaw2001

96 XR600 runs badly at constant throttle settings

7 posts in this topic

I just picked up a used 96 XR600. It starts easily but runs poorly at any throttle setting over 1/4. I've cleaned the carb, checked the jets. Where should I look for the problem. It goes down the road good but cuts out and sputters at any constant throttle settings over 1/4.

Clean your carb better. There are many passages in the carb that can get clogged, as well as the jets. What you describe is a clogged carb.

I just picked up a used 96 XR600. It starts easily but runs poorly at any throttle setting over 1/4. I've cleaned the carb, checked the jets. Where should I look for the problem. It goes down the road good but cuts out and sputters at any constant throttle settings over 1/4.

Sounds like it is running lean, might try a larger main jet.

Go down a street for a real short test ride after bike is up too full running temp & run without air filter for one quick run. Does it clear up any ? ( If so, too rich) (If runs worse, Too lean) If you know it has a updated billet choke plate, you can choke a little to find out rich or leaness. But if you have stock choke plate, it has a history of breaking off & a little piece may get sucked in and ruin topend(thus wallet). Replace it now if not yesterday!

On my 86 XR600 motor, I had a similair issue. I worked on it for a time, with no luck. Then took it to a friend who's a mechanic at the local dealer. He had for a few days, then called me to say the only issue he could find was the stator checked out a little low. It was in spec, but on the low side.

But it was the only thing he could find. We took a shot and put a new one on it, then it ran like a top.

Hope it helps.