HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fredda

Resistace - exciter coil (stator) XR600

6 posts in this topic

I have a -93 year XR600 and need to know what the resistance of the exciter coil (the stator suppling the ignition) should be. My manual says 230-320 ohms, but I think it is for a earlier modell so I'm not sure.

And if anyone knows what the diameter of the copperwire should be it would also be greate. (have measured, but I don't get it to be right.)

The pre-'91 exciter coil spec is 230-320 ohms. The '91-on spec is 50 to 150. Typically they show right around 90 ohms between the black/red wire & chassis.

F'ck!

Just ripped off all the wiring of my coil, showing 80 ohm :thumbsup::thumbsup:

So an advise to all TT-members, check that you got the right manual before acting.

My 93 looked good when I connected the ohm meter. However, it was still bad. My symptom was primarily difficult starting when hot. It got to the point where I had to push start it when it was hot. I could kick it forever and it would not start. The problems only seemed to occur while the engine was hot. Even when hot, the meter reading was correct. I rewound, and now it starts easily.

I used 33 gage magnet wire. I got it a surplus place for $2. I wouldn't go any bigger than 32 or smaller than 34. Smaller wire is weaker and more prone to breaking. No idea how many turns, but I put as many as would fit. I can't wind it nearly as well as the machine winding on the stock unit, so I doubt I have as many turns as stock.

It's been working for 2 years.