HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xr500_89

Well i got my Bike today

5 posts in this topic

well today i went and picked up my 89 Xr600 plated bike came with a White Bros E2 pipe renthal handle bars, acerbis plactics powder coated frame, only bad thing though is the bike was supposedly needed a top ned rebuild but to my surprise the bike doesnt need a rebuild on anything although i will be putting a bore kit in it, he said there was no power so im thinking its the carb, but anywho i payed 400 for this and endless amounts of spare parts....tell me what you guys think

Do a compression and leak down test. If you need rings, the compression test will verify it. The leak down test will tell you if the valves are the problem. You'll probably need to take it to a shop for this. Have you checked to see if the valves are adjusted correctly?

im almost certain its the valves cause one of them the edge looks like its melted but i am going to put a 11:1 wiseco piston and rings in it, and i havnt checked anything until i get a gasket set for it because he tore the engine apart, and didnt put in back into the bike so i figure while its out i'll put a hot cam in it, change the valves, as well as change the connecting rods.

im almost certain its the valves cause one of them the edge looks like its melted but i am going to put a 11:1 wiseco piston and rings in it, and i havnt checked anything until i get a gasket set for it because he tore the engine apart, and didnt put in back into the bike so i figure while its out i'll put a hot cam in it, change the valves, as well as change the connecting rods.

Glad to see that you have dived into it as you said you would. Don't forget to check the timing chain also. It may be out of tolerance. Looking forward to hearing you progress and thanks for helping me clear out some space in my garage.

yeah no problem man already got a new timing chain on order, as well as an all black plastics kit, a black baja desings kit, new piston rings and cylinder and plan on having the bike done in a few weeks i'll post before and afterwards pics