HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rkuckkahn

Story of Stupidity

13 posts in this topic

So I'm thinking I know as much as I need to keep the L running like a top. :thumbsup: Wrong :bonk: Last time I rode everything was working great. Yesterday I get on, starts right up but I just can't get it running smooth. Garage smells like gas, burp it and runs rough. I take it our warm it up good, at lower speeds it's still missing, hesitates. What the heck's going on. :thumbsup:

Take it into the garage after turning my idle screw way up (to keep it at least running) burp it a couple times. Play with the mixture screw, nothing. I'm thinking maybe gas is bad (no way I put in Stabil). Still smells like it's running super rich. Oh man is something in the carb sticking or a jet loose.

Then I figure ok I'll futz with the choak. maybe it's out of adjustment, stuck or something like that. So I thumb the choke push it away from the handlebar and the engine rpms run up, runs like a top again.

Moral of the story, remember which way is choke on and which way is choke off. :confused:

But I rode it just a couple days ago........am I ok or has some brain function been damaged by my wife always hitting me on the head? :bonk:

You were the victim of whats called a CRANIAL FLAGELLATE, I hope I spelled that right, I think just about everyone here could own up to one of those at least once in a lifetime.

So I'm thinking I know as much as I need to keep the L running like a top. :thumbsup: Wrong :bonk: Last time I rode everything was working great. Yesterday I get on, starts right up but I just can't get it running smooth. Garage smells like gas, burp it and runs rough. I take it our warm it up good, at lower speeds it's still missing, hesitates. What the heck's going on. :thumbsup:

Take it into the garage after turning my idle screw way up (to keep it at least running) burp it a couple times. Play with the mixture screw, nothing. I'm thinking maybe gas is bad (no way I put in Stabil). Still smells like it's running super rich. Oh man is something in the carb sticking or a jet loose.

Then I figure ok I'll futz with the choak. maybe it's out of adjustment, stuck or something like that. So I thumb the choke push it away from the handlebar and the engine rpms run up, runs like a top again.

Moral of the story, remember which way is choke on and which way is choke off. :confused:

But I rode it just a couple days ago........am I ok or has some brain function been damaged by my wife always hitting me on the head? :bonk:

Don't be so hard on yourself, many a man has tore apart a carb for the same symptom and cure.

I took a Sharpie and wrote WARM and COLD on the side of my float bowl, so I didn't have to think about it. So far it works for MY puny brain, now if I could figger out the wiring....

Maybe you shouldn't crank it in the garage...I think the fumes are taking a toll....

We all have our moments.

I know everyone here has wrestled trying to start their bike and looked down to see you have either the key in the off positoin on the switch on off.

I know I did it a lot on my first bike but it still happens to me about once a year.

I don’t know if the ‘L’ is the same as the ‘R’ but on the ‘R’ the choke works backward. On any other gas-operated equipment I’ve ever used, the lever replicates the choke plate. When it’s level the choke is open, when it’s vertical, the choke is closed, ya don’t even have to think about it.

I fixed that problem; I have the Edelbrock QC waiting to go on. NO CHOKE!

Anyway, if your ‘L’ is the same as the ‘R’ then it’s NOT you; it’s the genius that designed the reverse intuitive control. What a bozo...

I had a similar problem but I think it's all Yamaha 's fault. :confused: I was trying to start the kid's Raptor 80 & got the choke operation backwards. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start. (I thought) the choke was on since I've done this routinely many times.

Crank it over & it wouldn't fire. This little motor always fired right up, too. When it finally did it was running poorly so I thought I'd better turn the choke off. By doing so I actually turned it on & it ran poorly again being too rich. I finally figured out that I had it all Bass Ackwards, once I decided to read the directional info on the choke lever. :thumbsup:

But, it's hard to read, & the choke should be on the bars. At least that's my story & I'm stickin' to it! :thumbsup:

you didn't indicate how long the bike has been sitting, but it takes a lot less time, than people think, for the gasoline to go bad from sitting ... I've seen it happen LOTS of times, try putting fresh gas in ... good luck ... :thumbsup:

By the Title of this thread I thought it was going to be about another noob that bought a KXF but wishing he'd stayed with his XR.