HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JDrooster

WR400 Downhill

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I have a quick question. I am a fairly new user of a 99 WR400. I started wondering last night about how to handle things if I was on a steep downhill and stalled it. On my 95xr250 and my 97ktm620sx I could just pull in the clutch, hit 2nd and then bump start them. The compression ratio is so much higher on this WR. Do I need to use the compression release when I bumpstart it? Ultimately I'd like to get an auto-decomp cam, but for now, how do you compression-release users handle it? Thanks in advance for any replies. -Jerry

I moved the compression release lever to the right side of the handlebar so that i can operate the clutch and the compression release at the same time. even in first gear it work great. just pull in the clutch and the compression release let the clutch out first then let out the compression release and it runs! no throttle needed The cable is alittle short but I am not using throttle at this time anyway. I always wanted to get a custom cable (longer) and put on one of those works connection brake lever clamps with the thumb lever you see on the hot start set up but I never got around to it.

I usually bump start in 3rd. Works for me on all but the loosest downhill sections.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I played with it on some downhills this weekend.

GCannon, I've been toying with the idea of getting one of those perch backs with a HS lever and using it for my compression release as well. We'll see how it goes. hopefully I can get the cam soon and forget about it. Thanks again. -Jerry