HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1999XR600R

Throttle/Carb question

3 posts in this topic

Ok, this is kinda hard to explain, so just hear me out. Whenever I am slowing down to a stop, or downshifting, basically anytime i let off the throttle, it likes to slam down to idel speed. understand what im trying to get at? it seems like everytime i let off the throttle, its like ive hit the kill switch, or hit the jake brake. I have lubed everything there is to lube, and it accelerates just fine, but the second i let off, the carb slams shut. and when i accelerate again, the throttle kinda sticks and then gives, making it look like i don't know how to ride, further more this dosen't happen if I am just reving it in neutral!! any ideas or should I just give in and take it to the dealership? Thanks, Casey

try the idle adjustment knob? Try going counterclockwise a bit at idle, and see if it helps. How's your throttle cables? I ask because mine just did almost the same thing, the return cable was binding. I know minimal things about these bikes, just going off of experince of my '02 450F and my "new" '00 XR600R.

I have dissassembled all of the throttle parts and sprayed them with wd-40 and also the carb spring with the cable attach to the carb. I was also able to adjust the cables and take out some slack at the carb. This helped it a bit, but it still feels like the carb is just slamming shut, down to idel speed whenever I let off, and the hanging up when i try to accelerate, like its caught on somthing, should I just get new throttle cables? or go to the dealership and see what they think? and another question..... on bikebandit.com they don't have schematics for a 1999 XR600r, but they do have parts for a 1998 XR600r, can I just order parts for the 1998? I wouldn't think there is hardly any difference between the two, Thanks Casey