650L Throttle hesitation

Just installed XRs Only Header and muffler, Dynojet stage 1. My BRP runs like a scalded dog 1st and 2nd gear power wheelies with no problem, but...

There is a slight hesitation in the early throttle response...is this normal? any adjustments to smooth things out?

Any help would be appreciated!

Just installed XRs Only Header and muffler, Dynojet stage 1. My BRP runs like a scalded dog 1st and 2nd gear power wheelies with no problem, but...

There is a slight hesitation in the early throttle response...is this normal? any adjustments to smooth things out?

Any help would be appreciated!

You could dump the DJ kit and follow Daves mods. That will help! But if you really want it to work real well By the XRs only mikuni carb for that set up.

I actually did do Daves mods but instead of the washer and needle mod I used the DJ needle and jets (165 dj main).

I did not replace the pilot. Still the stock 55 (i think) pilot.

the DynaJet needle is designed to work with the stock pilot jet, thats why it is shaped oddly ... you're fine there, just turn your idle jet out another 1/4 to 1/2 turn, see if that doesnt help ... the stock 'L' carb does have a hesitation that you will probably never completely get rid of, but a lot depends on how you use your throttle, ... I roll mine on smoother, probably, than some riders , and dont even notice hesitation anymore ... be ready for lots of responses: " throw that carb away and spend hundreds of dollars on a new pumper carb " .. then you can read posts of riders trying to get those high-dollar carbs running smoothly, too ... carbs just do that, thats why the industry is going to injection instead ... it's all a matter of how much $$$ you want to spend to halfway remedy a minor annoyance ... just my humble opinion :thumbsup:

My problem is extremely minor. I am just a perfectionist...i guess...The pipe and jet kit is still a HUGE improvement... Thanks to all who responded!

Did you drill the slide? I bent the roller that rides on the cam that lifts the slide initially before vacuum takes over so that there wasn't any play. In other words as soon as the throttle is turned, the slide moves. I don't have any hesitation if I whack it open.

Yea - I drilled the slide, the throttle response is awesome. I am used to racing a 2 stroke, but am growing to love the PIG. I am having a great time with a large group of other dual sport riders in my area, and usually have to wait for them on the trails. I'm not that good, they are just slow! :thumbsup: