XR650R vale clearance???

Anybody else have a ticking sound up top? like the valves are ticking? I have an 02 650"R" w/ a hot cams stage 2...(so no autodecomp) I just adjusted the valves... twice! I followed the manual exactly, took the flywheel cover off and the whole nine! I checked it, then checked it again! put it all back together again... and the ticking seems rather loud to me. I am pretty sure it ticked a little bit before, and always has. maybe its just me! I called hot cams to get the specs, they gave me the exact same specs as in the honda shop manual .15 intake, .20 ex. in millimeters of course. I am using a set of craftsman feeler gauges, and they are not very old. The ticking seems louder to me than before, and I don't like it...and its not just at idle either I can hear it as I take off and cruise at a moderate speed up and down the street. So I am just wondering if anyone else has this valve ticking on their bike(is it normal?), and its all in my head. Or is this just one of the BRP's quirks...that I have not heard about before??? I would appreciate Any info that anyone has to offer about this... Thanks ?

• Like 1

Do you know anyone else in your area with a xr650r? If so, then you can listen to their bike and see if it's about as noisy.

The 650r engine is normally a bit noisy, but trying to define just how noisy it should be is hard to do without being there first hand. Even at that, sometimes we get so focused on something that's not an issue and turn it into an issue. We all do it ?.

Underneath the cam there's a spring loaded pin that engages with the auto decompression mechanism on the cam. Did you remove that pin & spring? I've left this pin & spring in on some bikes and removed it on others, but in the back of my mind, I've always worried about it coming out even though it's pretty secure. It's best to remove it just to be safe. Do you think there's any chance that the ticking sound you're hearing is from this pin falling out and being hammered?

Hopefully the noises you're hearing turn out to be normal, but I wouldn't sleep good at night without knowing for sure.

My 650R valves are a bit clicky also. I still have the stock cam. After you tune into a noise on your bike, it's seems ridiculous. I think you are just extra sensitive to it. Skidplates, especially aftermarket alum. ones, make the noise louder though too. You could adjust the valves toward the tighter/smaller side of the tolerances and maybe save a bit of noise, but for the most part I think it's fine and your are paranoid. Ride on!

• Like 1

I've got the same issue. I never had ticking or any unususal noises with my stock cam. I installed my stage 1 Hotcams, set the valves to spec and definately have ticking coming from the valvetrain. My bike started first kick and has great power so i figured I'd deal with it. Lastly, Ii left the pin inside the engine, I guess because i didn't know enough about it. Is it likely to be a problem over time?

O.K. snaggleXR ur right I must be paranoid! it does tick though, it just seems louder than before the valve adjustment... funny thing is I did them last year and probably haven't ridden it long enough to need another adjustment!!! Its just that me and the gang are getting ready to go to the Hatfield McMoy trails in two weeks and I wanted to make sure I don't have ANY problems! boy I should have just left them alone!!!

Thanks guys for all your input ?

• Like 1

...anyway, I don't have any of the auto decompression left, I have a hot cams cam, and they don't use the auto decomp... says so right in the directions

Yes, I understand that, but stuck in the valve cover there's a spring loaded pin that actuates the auto-decomp on the stock cam. Unless you removed this spring loaded pin from the valve cover when you swapped cams, it will still be there. Tony at HotCams recommends that you remove this spring loaded pin even though its not mentioned in the instructions or at least it used to not be mentioned in the instructions.

...Lastly, Ii left the pin inside the engine, I guess because i didn't know enough about it. Is it likely to be a problem over time?

I've never had one come out and I've installed dozens of these for other people in various bikes and we have several HotCams installed in our own personal bikes. One of my 650R's has the pin still in and it has close to 5K off road miles on it over the last couple years and the pin has not fallen out, but I've heard stories that other people have had them fall out. It may just be nothing but a story, but I try to take them out when I remember.

I've got the same issue. I never had ticking or any unususal noises with my stock cam. I installed my stage 1 Hotcams, set the valves to spec and definately have ticking coming from the valvetrain. My bike started first kick and has great power so i figured I'd deal with it. Lastly, Ii left the pin inside the engine, I guess because i didn't know enough about it. Is it likely to be a problem over time?

Well, I found out that I screwed up. I thought I had used a metric feeler gauge but it was actually standard so my valves were set at .015 and .020 in. Once I properly adjusted them the ticking was completely eliminated.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hopefully I am paranoid as well. Just picked up a 2000 BRP and it has a clear clicking sound that almost sounds like a knock. This is my first 4-banger so wasn't sure what to make of it. The bike is stripped down now to go over it, but I thought it possibly could have been that my manual decompression was loosely adjusted? It sounds similar to the power valves clicking on my CR250 at idle before they are activated. Hopefully it will go away when I adjust the valves..

• 12 years later...
On 4/23/2006 at 6:25 AM, Ramcc4x4 said:

Well, I found out that I screwed up. I thought I had used a metric feeler gauge but it was actually standard so my valves were set at .015 and .020 in. Once I properly adjusted them the ticking was completely eliminated.

Whoa, good to know, something to look out for !!!