Tires..

So I bought a michelin rear tire off ebay (new) and Ive only rode on it 3 times and tons of the knobs are like tore in half... Like almost every other one is. So do michelin tires just not hold up good at all or what? Any recomandations for a new tire? Im thinking I will get a http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=68&rn=287&action=show_detail since they look like the tread is huge! Anyone tried them? Thanks for the help.. ?

It is not the tread that is important, it is the compound it is made of. If you had a tire made for soft terrain and you rode it on hard terrain then it is going to rip knobs off. I recomend the Maxxis IThttp://www.maxxis.com/products/motorcycle/product_detail.asp?id=168 It has lasted 6 rides and it still has enough grab left in it to lift the front wheel up. BTW Terraflex tires are good too, I just dont have experiance with them. If you get the Maxxis IT dont even bother trying to put it on yourself. Take it to a shop and spend the $20 to have them do it. It is very common for people to bend tire irons when putting maxxis IT's on.

If you get a Maxxis get it from motorsport outlet. I've been doing a bit of research and so far they are the cheapest for tires. If your thinking about a Teraflex then think about the 150, those things are HUGE, you'll never wear one of those out in under 5 rides. And about what kawi rider said, don't be intimadated just get a good set of tire irons(spoon type work best) and go after it. It only took 40 minutes to my brother's rear and like 30 for the front. And yes I have installed a Maxxis desert IT rear and they are tough just make sure and don't pinch a tube and you'll be good. I just rode in super goopy mud yesterday and my tire(or I should say my slick) hooked up fine. I did a black diamond hill climb rode the track and everything and only crashed about 9 times and almost all of them were my front tire's fault. Sometime's it's all in your head you don't HAVE to have a new tire you just want one. Dirtbiking is 90% rider skill and 10% equipment

If you get the Maxxis IT dont even bother trying to put it on yourself. Take it to a shop and spend the $20 to have them do it. It is very common for people to bend tire irons when putting maxxis IT's on.

No joke.. I tried to put an IT on today and I couldn't even get my old one off. ??

I don't know if it was the aluminum rims or what? I was so worried about bending the rim and the irons. Whats up with that?

It seems to be the most recomended tire here. I like mine so far but I think a lower pressure will make it even better. Picked up a rear IT at a local bike shop for $53 and I should have given them an extra $20 to mount it. I think I broke some blood vessels in my head ?

No joke.. I tried to put an IT on today and I couldn't even get my old one off. ??

I don't know if it was the aluminum rims or what? I was so worried about bending the rim and the irons. Whats up with that?

2fastwhitey,

I feel your pain man! I spent 3 hours cursing and killing my knuckles to get my old D756 off and the new one on just to find out I pinched the tube. After doing it all over again and pinching another tube I took it to a shop. I had destroyed the inner part of the tire (part the seats against the rim that you can't see) and I needed a new tire. I said just do it. All in all I paid about 150-160 for 1 new tire. :confused: I don't know what was the deal with this one tire, I have never felt a stiffer sidewall on the other D756's I have put on. Never again, I'll pay someone to do it.

Michelin makes a hell of a good tire. the problem is the tire was dry rotted. if tires sit for longer than a year the rubber rots and the knobs just chunk off the first ride....and thats every tire! chances are the tire from ebay was just an old tire, not michelin's fault. 18" tires are so much easier to mount and dismount

I just mounted up my Maxxis IT rear tire and it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone says. Warm the tire with a hair dryer, use baby powder on the inside of the tire and on the tube, use soapy water to lube the bead, take small bites, use an UHD tube, and best tip of all, put the entire rim inside the tire and spoon the bead on from both sides. I did a search and found a great article on how to do it, I just can't find it now.

I'm sold on the 756. I use it at both ends. I don't really see a wear problem and that may be due to the fact that here in Houston the tracks truly are intermediate soil. I have not found anything that corners better and wwhen it comes down to it cornering is the most important factor when choosing a tire.

Just my opinion fellas.

YZ426

I just mounted up my Maxxis IT rear tire and it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone says. Warm the tire with a hair dryer, use baby powder on the inside of the tire and on the tube, use soapy water to lube the bead, take small bites, use an UHD tube, and best tip of all, put the entire rim inside the tire and spoon the bead on from both sides. I did a search and found a great article on how to do it, I just can't find it now.

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,656321,00.html

http://www.dansmc.com/tires1.htm

I just got a some Dunlop 952 front and rear. I have ridden at least 80-100 miles on them already and i barely notice any wear.

Basically just a tiny bit of rounding on the knobbies.

Front still looks great too.

I highly recommend these tires. I had the Dunlop 756 and those suck.

I had a decent Bridgestone tire, but it was mostly MX style when i first bought my bike used it came on there. It held up pretty well though.

I have heard great things about the Maxxis IT and Maxxis Desert IT's as well.

I put a set of Maxxis 6006? tires on my father in laws TTR225 and those thing were really nice, but seemed to wear a bit only after 1 ride and that TTR225 barely can even get the back tire loose from the lack of power that bike has.

So my vote is for the Dunlop 952, then the Maxxis IT or Maxxis Desert IT.

BTW, i ride pretty rocky stuff. My 952's held up through a lot of miles in rocky loose conditions where you spin the wheel on many parts of the ride.

Seems to hold up in sandy washed out stuff as well. I still barely notice any wear after all that rocky stuff.