Crack in swingarm

Guys upon buying my bike i noticed a crack in the swingarm, where the weld is. Now it is only a hairline crack but i want to get it fixed. Would it be possible to just weld it back together: MIG/ TIG/ ARC. my dad has all the welders but wondering which one would suffice. Is this going to fix the crack or will it just reappear?

thanks jordan

Wow that's a bad crack. Because it's aluminum it could get a lot worse fast. I wouldn't jump that's for sure. You should fix that as soon as possible. Tig is your best bet as you have the most control and finesse. Make sure you grind the crack out and go past the crack at least 1/2 inch when grinding. When welding makes sure you overlap the existing weld and don't leave a crater in your puddle or a crack will form again. If you need more info let me know.

thats a crack for sure, common problem on yz's caused by factory chain slider moving around. the crack can be ground cleaned and welded, it looks like it is opening up, which means that it will have to be closed for proper alignment. you may be able to find a nice swingarm used on ebay etc.. and it may be cheaper than the repair. hard to say. my experience with aluminum is it tends to crack again in the same spot.

my career is welding and that crack looks easily fixable to me, you need to grind or bevel out the crack and stop drill it on both ends and just lay a nice bead right through the groove you made. mig or tig would both be ok but tig is probably the best bet so you can keep the heat out of it.

Weld it! Then, Go to the late Motomans website and click on tech articles on the left and then scroll down to 'misc' and click on 'fixing the faulty swingarm slider'. Its a good article. Most likely your swingarm slider is too loose from the 'tophat' type washer that is not crimping on the swingarm slider. Its a quick fix and it prevents the crack in the future. The swingarm slider slides back and forth on the swingarm when the chain rolls on it and grinds the metal away and causes the crack.

http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/