HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dwb0804

Should i part out or fix??

7 posts in this topic

My bike wouldn't crank the other day, so i took it back to my mechanic, after he tour it down he said a seal on the gear shifter was letting oil leek while i was riding, when he drained the oil there was just over 1.5 qts. He said he the rings were out of tolerance but he thought the cylinder was ok. He said he wants to check the Clarence with new rings, and if it is good i can get by with out boring it out or getting a new cylinder head. I am just wandering should i just call it quits and sell it for parts on ebay, or fix it again.

I just put a new piston, rings, valves, and rebuilt carbs 250 miles ago. The bike is in pretty good shape but it is 22 years old. 1985 xl600r

thx

-will

xl600.jpg

a>

If it was mine I would get it running and sell it. You might get as much or more parting it out, but it would be a lot bigger hastle. Good luck whatever you decide :thumbsup:

I'd say fix it; you can generally get more money out of a fixed bike than one thats not running. And like it was said, parting it out would be a pain in the a**...

Those mid-80's honda 's can still be worth some money if they run good, and are in good enough shape. Yours looks like its still in pretty good condition, so I'd say fix the prob.

i must say the design of that xl compared to my brp looks like much hasnt changed visually and layout wise honda must have got it pretty right in the 80's

My bike wouldn't crank the other day, so i took it back to my mechanic, after he tour it down he said a seal on the gear shifter was letting oil leek while i was riding, when he drained the oil there was just over 1.5 qts. He said he the rings were out of tolerance but he thought the cylinder was ok. He said he wants to check the Clarence with new rings, and if it is good i can get by with out boring it out or getting a new cylinder head. I am just wandering should i just call it quits and sell it for parts on ebay, or fix it again.

I just put a new piston, rings, valves, and rebuilt carbs 250 miles ago. The bike is in pretty good shape but it is 22 years old. 1985 xl600r

thx

-will

xl600.jpg

a>

Sounds like you need to find a new mechanic. "Tore engine apart because it wouldn't start" :thumbsup: "Rings out of tolerance after 250 miles" :thumbsup::confused:

Well it ran low on oil, aperently when i was rideing all day the oil was gradualy leeking out, When he saw the oil level thats when he decided to tair it down.