HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xdirtbikerx

Cant find rear shock rebound adjuster!!!

6 posts in this topic

I looked all over the bottom of the shock, (like on my yz) but didnt see any adjuster, i checked the service manuel but it didnt mention it either. is there any rebound adjustment on the rear shock? its a 2000 xr650r. would appriciate any help, the rear feels like a pogo stick over most high speed choppy stuff. thanks.

The rebound screw is on the shock rod/fork that's connects to your linkage. It 'should' be on the same side as your resevoir for easier access, but it could have easily been turned around by somebody when they removed the shock to change the spring, etc. If it's not there, then you don't have a stock XR650R shock in your bike. I'm positive the rebound screw is pictured and identified in the service manual under the rear wheel suspension section and will dig out a page number if necessary.

I will double check there soon as i get home from work, I suppose i could have "missed" it when i was looking, and i really REALLY hope its there. it is bone stock exsept for a baja designs light kit and uncorked. thanks. mike.

It's shown on a couple different pages, but it's specifically called out on page 15-22 (3rd picture down). Page 15-17 has the best breakdown picture and the damper rod clearly shows the rebound adjuster screw on it, but it's not called out in that diagram.

I looked all over the bottom of the shock, (like on my yz) but didnt see any adjuster, i checked the service manuel but it didnt mention it either. is there any rebound adjustment on the rear shock? its a 2000 xr650r. would appriciate any help, the rear feels like a pogo stick over most high speed choppy stuff. thanks.

And it's only going to get a little better with some clicker adjustments, if you want to go really fast on the choppy stuff on a 650R you will need to revalve, and if you are looking for a high speed adjuster, the 650 shock doesn't have it, if you have a few bucks to spare (more like 1000) you could upgrade the rear with a CR500 shock like the Honda guys do, Precision Concepts and other shops do this, the CR shock has the high speed adjustments just like your blue bike :thumbsup:

Took my bike out last night up to Cleveland nat forest behind my house, before going, i looked where you said, i feel pretty stupid now but there it was. pretty small, compared to my yz, but there none the less, awesome!, i gave it a couple of clicks and it is noticeably better, maybe a couple more clicks next time and i will start dialing it to my liking, thanks again. mike.