Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
02YZ426

Who thinks the 426 Is A Dinosaur?

20 posts in this topic

It might be a bit heavy but its still a very competitive bike... I always seem to here people talking about how they are a tank and a dinosaur on the track but I have to disagree. I went to my first race back today in 3 years and took the ole 426, and even managed to pull a holeshot against all those fancy new bikes :thumbsup: Second overall so I'm very happy with the performance of this machine and will continue to race the 426 against all these new 450s. So heres one for the the 426 :thumbsup:

Ive never ridden a new 450 but I love my 426 and the wieght is really not an issue for me :thumbsup:

I think its a competitive bike, a lot of riding has to do with the rider. I got a 2000 426 and it mocks. Glad to see I am not the only one that thinks so. And about the weight it is only 9 or so pounds heavier.

I just got back from riding mine for the first time in a couple of months. I really love my bike. I'd love it better if the fork seal wasn't blown out and the carb wasn't leaking fuel where the fuel line connects, but that's mostly my fault. My first race ever I pulled 2nd against a bunch of new bikes. It felt fantastic. :thumbsup:

The 426 is a fast and bulletproof bike. Perfect motor. Perfect gearing. It will place any good pilot at the front of the pack in the first turn and the top of the podium at the end. Weight. Smeight. I love my 450 but in some aspects I do miss my 426.

Yes a little on the heavy side (Approx. - 11 lbs heavier than the new 450) and a little dated but still a great all around bike. I had my front suspension redone several months ago and can't believe the difference it made. Best Mod I have done to date and I am amazed at how much better the bike handles. The bike has yet to let me down and has performed well on both the MX track and trail. A great race/play/fun bike. I've ridden various 450's and my 426 suits me fine.

Can't wait...426 day is only in 10 days..... :thumbsup:

I still think my 426 is as competitive as anything on the track. I don't know if I'll ever sell it.

I had a 2000 426 and I ran the crap out of that thing for 4 year's and it was dead reliable never give me any trouble I raced mx,harescramble's and trail rode it.I think it would still be very competitive they're not that out of date and if your're a good rider then your're going to be competitive no matter what.The only thing's about it I don't miss is the starting drill and the weight.

I think it's still a great bike. There's no doubt the average guy can easily still be competitive on one. Think of it this way. Was MX much different four years ago? No. Did people ride faster or differently 4 years ago then they do now? Not really. So if the 426 was competitive 4 years ago, there's no reason it shouldn't still be, at least for average Joe's like us. It may not be as light or as nimble as the newer bikes, but it is still a formidable machine. Remember, 90% rider, 10% bike.

Im 16 and 155 pounds and have a yz 426 and love it. It dosent seem to heavy for me and i love the way it seems to stick to the ground. Sorry to take a diffrent subject but im looking to update my suspension and i was wondering what kind of mods you guys made or who i could send it to to have it done for a fair price. Im a C class harescamble racer and am using a Maxxis Maxxcross It on the rear and a Dunlop D 765 on the front

Im 16 and 155 pounds and have a yz 426 and love it. It dosent seem to heavy for me and i love the way it seems to stick to the ground. Sorry to take a diffrent subject but im looking to update my suspension and i was wondering what kind of mods you guys made or who i could send it to to have it done for a fair price. Im a C class harescamble racer and am using a Maxxis Maxxcross It on the rear and a Dunlop D 765 on the front

Race Tech will do wonders for a harescramble setup. I use Pro Privateer here in Texas but it's the same baselines.

A Matchless G80 is a dinosaur. A BSA Goldstar is a dinosaur. A B50MX was an early mammal.

The YZ426 has a 5 valve DOHC engine that produces something in excess of 45 HP by revving to a point beyond 10,000 RPM, has 12 inches of reasonably sophisted suspension, weighs less than 260 pounds, and is ridiculously reliable. Somehow, that doesn't seem like fossil material to me. The newer stuff is better, sure, and it will continue to get better, as it always does. Some day, the 426 will be like riding an '87 YZ250. But not yet.

I loved my 426 to death and didn't think I'd ever part with it, but I did and have no regrets. The 426 was a great bike, but my new 450 is head and shoulders better than my 426 was. I don't care which bike is faster, I could get beat on a track by an 8 year old on a YZ85 but what I do know is that the new 450 is everything my 426 was but better in every way. I've still got love for the 426 though :thumbsup:

I agree I love my 426, my hands still get shaky when I ride it I think the weight issue is not a factor to the average Joe. I think a dinosaur would defiantly be my dads bike a 1976 Yamaha DT400 he bought it when he was 16 and its ran like a champ ever since

My YZ400F was the last bike that I've ridden (5 years ago). I'll be picking up my new YZ450F this weekend, and am anxious to experience Yamaha 's progress!

I've never been on a new 450, so I can only comment on what I know. The only gripes I have is im always searching for more gears and hot start is a bitch! I had a 2000 XR400 a few yrs back that could only just do 3rd gear wheelstands, this thing does 5th gear wheelstands all day every day. Power and throttle response is amazing, almost too lively!

I read somewhere that the yz426's have the most aggressive power curve of all the big MXers. Is that true?

Sorry to take a diffrent subject but im looking to update my suspension and i was wondering what kind of mods you guys made or who i could send it to to have it done for a fair price.

DarkSun - I sent my suspension off to Pro-Action of Illinois. I race/ride mainly Harescrambles/Woods with a litle MX. I couldn't believe the difference in handling and turning. Best mod hands down I have done on my 426.

I had Factory Connection do mine and I love it! :thumbsup: Completely different bike for me now :thumbsup:

I got an old 98 yz400f. It's a great bike. It's even competitive...sort of. Balanced in the air and very stable. Corners more like a traditional MXer, steering with the back allmost more than the front. I should say that the suspension has been worked.

The other day, i picked up an 05 450. And although, at a glance, they look a lot a like, they are no where near the same. The 450 reminds me a lot of my old 85 yz250, but everything is way more refined and really works. Like the old 250, Light and loose in the back, light in the air. Lighter, Lighter, Lighter... And power, WOW. I just need to get the suspension set up for me and this will be a great bike.