Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moto_xmayhem21

05' Wr 450 Starter Removal???

13 posts in this topic

Wondering If There Is Some Type Of Block Off Plate For The Case Of My 450, Had I Removed The Starter....or If I Would Be Better Off Getting The Side Case Off Of A Yz After Removing The Starter.

I Would Really Like To Loose The Extra Weight That The Starter Adds.

Anyone Sell A Kit/bolck-off Plate, Any Info Is Awesome, Thanx

Take the enigine to your local fab shop and have them measure and fab an aluminum press fit plug. OR the less cool way to go is to instal a ruberized freeze plug that expands in the hole.

The press fit option is better. Dont forget to run a capacitor in place of the battery on that 05...or it wont run :thumbsup:

just out of curiosity, is the weight saving really that important that you need to lose the button ??

could you carry less tools or less water in your camelback - or go on a diet ?

my button ain't goin nowhere for no-one

just my 2c ... no offence

I'm with pkcof on this one.

Your better off losing body mass weight. Most of us can afford to...

The starter and battery weight are also much lower in comparason to your ride position and its center mass.

This mod always baffles me....... a WR without a starter comes from the factory.........they call it a YZ

The first time my thumb pressed the E button, I knew that going to the Dark Side was too sweet!!!!!!

Well, just to add some good-natured fuel to the fire. I'm sitting back after finally getting the starter motor and associated gears outta my "new" '04 450.

The battery was side-lined straight away. Talk about baggage...Maybe I can sell it to my neighbor for his riding lawn-mower. :thumbsup:

See, I figure that those super-smart engineers have spent all these years getting our super-cool bikes so light, that I'd help them out a bit.

Different strokes for different folks.

Cheers,

DP

If I were good I'd never kill my bike. But when it happens " and it always happens in a shitty spot" it's nice to have the button.

I love the button too, but somewhere the WR picked up about 30 lbs over the YZ. That is a lot.

This mod always baffles me....... a WR without a starter comes from the factory.........they call it a YZ

Well, we Californians can't ride YZ's on public land from May through October. Without question I'd be on a YZ if it weren't for the law. A lot of us went the WR route because the WR is a green sticker bike, which means it can be ridden year-round on public lands.

To all you nay sayers....dont knock it till you try it! :thumbsup: 15 lbs of sprung weight on the bike itself makes a huge difference. When doing this mod, a Rekluse clutch will make the button virtually un necessary anyhow.

Ride a 250 lb (real world weight)WR and then write back. :thumbsup:

I am with you man. I always thought Californicators were crazy. Removing a perfectly good starter confirms it. Stefan Everts won the 03 ISDE on a stock WR. Sounds like you guys just need to learn to ride.

I am with you man. I always thought Californicators were crazy. Removing a perfectly good starter confirms it. Stefan Everts won the 03 ISDE on a stock WR. Sounds like you guys just need to learn to ride.

Oh jeez here we go again with the "go learn to ride BS". I asumne you have a nice trophy room :thumbsup:

BTW. team Zip Ty Racing used an 05 WR450 with the starter equipment removed for their 2005 24HR of Glen Helen race bike and came in 2nd place. They had the fastest lap times on the MX track portion with a WR. I guess they need riding lessons. :thumbsup: