Carb

When doing :thumbsup: Daves mods :confused: you need to shim the needle, I have no washers so a fellow biker is sending me some. They are .020 should I use one or two washers? I ask this because in most of the threads riders talk about using .025 to .032. and I'm not sure :thumbsup: how touchy the shimming process is. :bonk:

Just did mine last week. You need to be within those two numbers. mine is a brass washer ground down to @ .025. Be careful, it needs to be snug under the top of the needle and shouldn't be any wider than the top. I had help with mine but it was amazingly simple.

:thumbsup: So if i double up on the .020 will it be to much? :thumbsup:

Yes,

Two .020 shims will equal .040, approximately .008" thicker than the .032" which is apparently the recommend thickest shim.

do you think one .020 will work?

do you think one .020 will work?

This info may be helpful: On my dynojet needle (different machine) the difference between notches is .040. The .020 is used as a half step, between notches. .008 is aproaching 25% of one notch. Without a good Dyno run how could anyone tell the difference. Your machine will vary from Dave's due to many factors.

...should I use one or two washers? I ask this because in most of the threads riders talk about using .025 to .032. and I'm not sure :thumbsup:

Go with two or 0.040 if thats what you've got. You won't hurt anything by shimming it a bit more. It's just a general range. Some folks find thier XRL's run better with more height produced by a thicker shim. :thumbsup:

how touchy the shimming process is. :bonk:

Not at all. The only part you need to be concerned with, other than being careful when disassembling the carb, is making sure the O.D. of the shim(s) aren't larger than the O.D. of the jet needle head as already mentioned.

Time to tear into that carb now... :confused:

:thumbsup::confused: Thanks again everyone :bonk::thumbsup: