Rust on Fork Piston Rod - How serious?

So, I wanted to do a flush and refill on the forks last nite. Bike is an '02. New to me. Some miles, but pretty minty. I discovered the thing is still on the OEM front brake pads, which is cool.

Anyway, I get the tubes out and the springs, etc... out. I find a couple small (1/8" diamter) rust spots on the piston rod. I hit them with scotchbrite to get it off and smooth the rod.

So, how serious is (was) this bit of rust?

I understand that the fork damper can be prone to corrossion as well. True?

So should I just bolt it all back together with new 2.5wt oil or pull the forks ALL the way apart and see what's going on?

Thanks,

-Z

If it's just on the small diameter part of the rod, I don't think it's too serious. It's only a real problem when it's on a sliding part that needs to seal. The rust is an issue only because it is abrasive crap.

If you want to flush them out good, go and get a few bottles of the cheapest Dextron ATF you can find. Pour it in and move all the parts around for a minute or two. Then drain. Repeat if the fluid comes out dirty. When I did my forks, they were so grunge filled that I had to do it three times before the fluid came out red.