Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DezXR650R

weight concious mods?

10 posts in this topic

hello all, i have recently purchased a new xr650r...and although i love the bike and it suits the type of riding i do perfectly, the thing just weighs a ton. bone stock it weighs something like 280 pounds. add on the desert tank and all regular desert protection mods and you're looking at a bike well over 300 pounds.

for a guy who only weighs 140 pounds with gear on, im looking for some modifications i can make to the bike that will take off some excess poundage. it has me wondering if there are any mods at all that will shave off weight, seeing with a desert bike you normally put on some pounds because everything has to be heavy-duty. can anyone out there help me?

don't mean to hi-jack your post but what do you mean by all the desert mods

There really isn't much you can do to these bikes to lighten them up...

A few years ago, Dirtbike did an article on the 650R where they made it go on a diet plan, so to speak. They did tons of work on it, like THOUSANDS of dollars, but after the dust settled, they had only lost like 12 lbs. The bike is just really hard to lose weight on. Theres things you can do like exhuast, bars, etc, but that won't save very much...

Like the article said... "Putting an aftermarket exhuast on the 650R in an attempt to make it lose weight is like scraping the barnacles off the queen mary to save weight." :thumbsup:

I agree,

There isn't hardly anywhere to lose weight from. In my opinion, get the power up and work on the suspension that way it handles well for it's weight and has a great power to weight ratio.

It's funny, people say that they are so heavy, but if you look around, street legal 400's are about the same weight, but have less power. The only time I notice the weight on my Pig is when loading it into the bed of my truck or on the rare occasion that I lay it over on the ground. Build some muscle and ride, or sell it and buy a CRF 250R if you want a light bike.

I agree,

There isn't hardly anywhere to lose weight from. In my opinion, get the power up and work on the suspension that way it handles well for it's weight and has a great power to weight ratio.

It's funny, people say that they are so heavy, but if you look around, street legal 400's are about the same weight, but have less power. The only time I notice the weight on my Pig is when loading it into the bed of my truck or on the rare occasion that I lay it over on the ground. Build some muscle and ride, or sell it and buy a CRF 250R if you want a light bike.

Well put!

yup. no cfr650 for me, if it will weigh a bunch less, it'll be a fragile RFS, unless some new breakthough happens, and that wont appear first on a big bore.

"Putting an aftermarket exhuast on the 650R in an attempt to make it lose weight is like scraping the barnacles off the queen mary to save weight." :thumbsup:

different purpose to it though :thumbsup: a boat will save alot of fuel due to it less drag, and you will achieve a better power to weight ration on the pig, but yeah it is kinda pointless for weight loss

Have you ever heard the term "p*****g in the wind"? The most effective way I have to found to get the total weight package down is to go on a diet and wear the lightest riding gear I can find.

or he could put on weight so he can use it to throw the bikes weight around better :thumbsup: