Repacking exhausts - loose or tight

I have repacked the CRD absolute performance 2 exhaust on my WR450 and expected a nice quiet bike again but was met with quite a bark when i cranked her up. I packed the thing tight. Should an exhaust be loosely packed or shouldn't it make any difference?

I have repacked the CRD absolute performance 2 exhaust ... I packed the thing tight. Should an exhaust be loosely packed or shouldn't it make any difference?

It makes a difference.

If you have packed it too tight the sound waves will not penetrate and therefore will not be obsorbed ---it will BARK, as yours seems to be doing.

Similarly, too loose and there wont be enough obsorbant material to do its job.

So, how tight do you pack it? The best I can describe it - like a reasonably firm pillow. Some packings come prepacked - you just slip them over the perforated pipe. If you can have a feel of these type when next at a bike shop then that is how you pack your exhaust because these dont get compressed anymore when inserted.

My .02 :thumbsup:

Thanks for that, i will repack but not quite so tight. Sorry i took so long to reply, been up to Scotland for British Championship enduro at Lossiemouth.