HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joel_Gibson

Flywheel weights just for older WR's?

5 posts in this topic

I have been running a 10oz flywheel weight on my 98 WR400 and I like it (the thing tractors through technical stuff with ease). I am about to buy a newer WR450 and I have noticed there is very little discussion of heavier flywheel weights for these newer bikes. Are they less prone to stall? Do they have heavier flywheels than the older 98 WR400's? I saw a 2oz weight for WR450's at Steahly's site but that doesn't look like 2 oz. would be much change. Can anyone shed some light on this. Thanks

I have been running a 10oz flywheel weight on my 98 WR400 and I like it (the thing tractors through technical stuff with ease). I am about to buy a newer WR450 and I have noticed there is very little discussion of heavier flywheel weights for these newer bikes. Are they less prone to stall? Do they have heavier flywheels than the older 98 WR400's? I saw a 2oz weight for WR450's at Steahly's site but that doesn't look like 2 oz. would be much change. Can anyone shed some light on this. Thanks

I suggest you do a search in this forum on flywheel weights. FYI, the 06 WR450 has 30oz flywheel vs. around 19 or 20oz for the YZ, cant remember exactly. Several companies do a 6oz reduction or increase for the WR and some technically minded TT members have done their own mods. :thumbsup:

Enjoy

:thumbsup:

Actually I did do a search prior to posting and I'm afraid there was no useful information regarding heavier weights. The were several postings on shaving weight to make the WR act more like a YZ however. I have searched almost every company I know of that makes flywheel weights and the only WR450 weight are +2 oz or -6oz. I don't remember how heavy the 98 WR flywheel was. Maybe the 06 models are upsized already. Does anyone know the stock 98-99WR flywheel weight?

Joel,

The wr 450s have much more flywheel weight than the older 400s and 426s, thus the fewer suppliers of weights. I took my (first TT member with a WR450) bike to Chuck Steahly the day I got it so he could develop a weight for the electric start model. He has since told me the stock flywheel is so much heavier than the older ones that he hasn't had much interest in people adding more weight. I had the 12 oz. weight on my WR400(previous bike) and I really liked it. The WR 450 doesn't need any more IMO. :thumbsup:

Jim