HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chrisn6104

03 Exaust

5 posts in this topic

I just picked up an 03 YZ450F. I'm also just getting back into dirt riding. The bike is in need of a new exhaust and I'm looking at the Dr.D slip on. The head pipe on the bike seems to be in good condition it's the mid pipe and slip on thats trashed. Is there any advantage to buying the Dr.D complete system with their head pipe. Or is the stock pretty much the same?

I know on road bikes the stock headers are junk but these are just one pipe with a bend. Should I find a slip on or get a complete system? Also is Dr.D a good exhaust? I don't need best most expensive top of the line but I do want something thats of good quality and will last.

The stock head pipe is pretty good on the '03 yz450f. The only trouble I've ever had is rock dings and crash damage. I'm running an Ackropovic complete system now, it is lighter and a little quieter than stock. Power? More I guess but I couldn't use all I had before, so now I have even more I can't use :thumbsup: The Ackro head pipe looks exactly the same as the stock one. I've never used the Dr D stuff but the guys I know that have, liked it but found they had to repack it more often than I do mine. Have fun.

I just picked up an 03 YZ450F. I'm also just getting back into dirt riding. The bike is in need of a new exhaust and I'm looking at the Dr.D slip on. The head pipe on the bike seems to be in good condition it's the mid pipe and slip on thats trashed. Is there any advantage to buying the Dr.D complete system with their head pipe. Or is the stock pretty much the same?

I know on road bikes the stock headers are junk but these are just one pipe with a bend. Should I find a slip on or get a complete system? Also is Dr.D a good exhaust? I don't need best most expensive top of the line but I do want something thats of good quality and will last.

i agree woth john, the stock set up is really good just get alot of dents on header after a while, but i run dr.d full system now and the bike gained alot of bottom to mid range power. i think all the bike pipe test showed dr.d the best bang for the buck.

The only negative I have seen from the full Dr. D system is the fact you have to move the header pipe out of the way to change the oil filter. I would think though they made the system to produce maximum benefits from both the header and exhaust (otherwise why would anyone spend the extra $$$ for the full system). By the way, I got my full Dr. D exhaust from BTO for 409 which is a great price, and the slip on is only $70 cheaper.