Street Legal KLX300

I have been looking around at kits to make my KLX300 street legal as I like the idea of being able to ride to the trails, and occasionally ride to work when the weather is nice. I am looking for suggestions from people that have also done this conversion.

First off is tires. I plan on using the bike for mostly dirt riding, but I want a tire that will be comfortable for an occasional 8-10 mile jaunt on the pavement.

Next is lighting options. I have been looking at the kits from Baja Designs and DRC Products. The DRC kit is quite a bit cheaper, but it looks like it runs off of a battery pack. Does anyone here have any experience with the DRC kits? Here is a link to the DRC wiring harness, and they also have some nice looking turn signal and taillamp options.

DRC Products

I have also been looking at spedometers, and have that narrowed down to the Baja Designs analog one that would use the stock odometer cable, and one of the Trail Tech endurance kits.

Any input is appreciated, Thanks!

Hey,

i just bought an '06 klx300r, and am also very interested in making it street legal, to make it easier to ride to local trails. I have posted on New England Dirt Bikes forum board , asking for advice, none received yet.

i am just starting to research it for my home state of maine.

i will post back here if I get any good advice from people who have done it.

You can go one of two directions, depending on your needs and the local DMV requirements. The "ghetto" approach, which is what I did with my KLX. Put in a dual filament socket and bulb in the rear light, put a brakelight switch on, put a mirror on and your'e good to go. Or you can do an "official" dual sport kit like the Baja Designs. If I had to go the "official" route, there's no question that I would do a Trick Dual Sport kit. Dale is a TT member and the owner/operator of Trick Dual Sport. He knows all the tricks, is extremely service oriented and can set you up with a custom or off the shelf setup. Highly recommended. keep in mind that almost all DS conversions are not 100% legal. In CA for instance, it's next to impossible to be 100% - ie: steel tank, battery that will light up the bike for 20 minutes when engine is killed, etc., etc., etc. Good luck. Post on the Dual Sport TT forum for Dale or for more info on yoru particular state. Bill

I bought the Trick Dual Sport kit and love it. Bill is correct, Dale is the man. I couldn't find a tail/brake light kit that looked good so I did the same thing Bill did with the dual filament socket and bulb using the existing tail light cover. I bought a collapsable mirror and the trailtech computer that work great. I went the cheap route with the tires and bought the Kenda Trackmasters K760 (I think). They work great for on/off road use. I had to take my rim locks out though so they balanced better. I am not a very aggressive rider and I keep the psi up to at least 15lbs. so I haven't had any problem with the tire spinning on the rim. Hope this helps.

Great Info!

What did you have to go through with your DMV to get the bike plated? The Nebraska DMV website says that they will not plate any bike that came from the factory with "for offroad use only" designation. I am going to give them a call and see if I can even get the KLX legal here in my state.

Great Info!

What did you have to go through with your DMV to get the bike plated? The Nebraska DMV website says that they will not plate any bike that came from the factory with "for offroad use only" designation. I am going to give them a call and see if I can even get the KLX legal here in my state.

I had to go to the DMV and get an inspection form. I had to have a police officer inspect the bike and fill out the form. Then, I had to get insurance on the bike as though it were a street bike. Then, I took the form, title, proof of insurance to the DMV and they changed my title to "on road" and gave me the registration.

I have the UFO dual sport kit on my 2002 and it works great. Hopefully your local DMV will let you do what you need to do. Plated bikes really make connecting those mega loops easier and legal. Nothing better than the authorities seeing your plated bike and smiling rather than hassling.

Well, I had a depressing conversation with the wonderful people over at the DMV. After being transferred about 4 times through people that had no idea what I was talking about, I finally spoke with a lady that told me the State of Nebraska will not title a vehicle as street legal, regardless of modifications, if the MSO indicates "off road use only." She told me that if the bike was titled as street legal in another state, then that street legal title could be transferred to Nebraska, but that is the only way to get my KLX legal ?

So, I guess my dreams of the street legal KLX are pretty much dashed as long as I am living in the great state of Nebraska....

If you have any close friends in CO, "sell" it to them, let them title it and "buy" it back. You can get a plate and street legal title in CO without any Govt. official ever setting eyes on your machine. All you need is insurance and the original title with the appropriate signatures. I would help you out but I live in the far NW corner of the state. Good luck. I dual sport mine with only a mirror and the plate screwed into the rear fender. Nobody ever looks at me twice.

Russ

Well, I had a depressing conversation with the wonderful people over at the DMV. After being transferred about 4 times through people that had no idea what I was talking about, I finally spoke with a lady that told me the State of Nebraska will not title a vehicle as street legal, regardless of modifications, if the MSO indicates "off road use only." She told me that if the bike was titled as street legal in another state, then that street legal title could be transferred to Nebraska, but that is the only way to get my KLX legal ?

So, I guess my dreams of the street legal KLX are pretty much dashed as long as I am living in the great state of Nebraska....

That happened to me in Florida also. I bought a KTM 450 with a plate from the dealer because the title doesn't say the dreaded "Offroad Use Only". Problem solved. I still have the KLX... would keep it if I could plate it also.

I did my conversion back in 99, and just had to do a form for modified vehicles, did a brake light inspection, and a odometer check and that was it!

I went with a stripped down version of Baja-Designs kit, Trail-tech computer, and acerbis/turn signal handguards. I have had over 26k on this bike, and it is still trouble free! ?

1BadHusker,

Not all is lost!

The new KLX250S is nothing more than a KLX300R with street legal gear and electric start.

Buy one and you can fit your cylinder, piston and a few other odds and ends and wind up with a true dualsport bike that you can register in Nebraska!

The folks at various DMV's are getting smarter each day. Many of the loopholes that folks have been using for years are disappearing.

Hope this helps.

Talked to a service guy at a local motorcycle shop in Maine.

Dual Sporting is doable, but the state is very oppressive., requires everything but a retina scan and first born child.

For my KLX300 to get a plate , he says I would need:

dual beam headlight, brake light activated by hand and foot brakes, DOT tires, speedo, blinkers, license plate light, and who knows what else.

Our state may be horribly restrictive and overzealously governmental, but at least the TAXES are the highest in the nation. LOL

maybe I'll just buy a drz400s,

I have been looking around at kits to make my KLX300 street legal as I like the idea of being able to ride to the trails, and occasionally ride to work when the weather is nice. I am looking for suggestions from people that have also done this conversion.

First off is tires. I plan on using the bike for mostly dirt riding, but I want a tire that will be comfortable for an occasional 8-10 mile jaunt on the pavement.

Next is lighting options. I have been looking at the kits from Baja Designs and DRC Products. The DRC kit is quite a bit cheaper, but it looks like it runs off of a battery pack. Does anyone here have any experience with the DRC kits? Here is a link to the DRC wiring harness, and they also have some nice looking turn signal and taillamp options.

DRC Products

I have also been looking at spedometers, and have that narrowed down to the Baja Designs analog one that would use the stock odometer cable, and one of the Trail Tech endurance kits.

Any input is appreciated, Thanks!

The Baja Kit on my 331 has a 12 cell battery to suppliment the power from the rewound stator when i idle and it bogs a little great kit all in all worth the money not to "cheap out" I didnt put it on I bought the bike already plated for here in Cali, but the battery still holds a great charge after almost 10 years of age and the wires arent cracked anywhere. I do need to replace the bands holding the headlight before much longer though they are showing signs of cracking. Not too sure if that will help you decide but that told me something about the quality of their product that its all there and working after 9 years of trail and desert riding in the Cali heat and dust.

• 14 years later...