HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
burelybean

troubles with 99 yz400f

7 posts in this topic

I have a 99 yz400f, the bike is overheating within a minute or two of initial startup. When riding the bike loses all tourge and has just enough to pull the bike. Have not the slightest step to take next any ideas would be appreciated

is the coolant flowing? Is it all boiling out or is it leaking out? How long do you let it idle? From what i've experienced and read these bikes run hot.

the bike is maintaing a consistent coolant level and the coolant is warming up it just cannot keep up with the heat from the engine and the loss of tourque i am presuming is part of the same problem

If the water and oil levels are good and there is no sign of either one moving into the others home, I would check the water pump impeller.. If it is not pumping, it is not cooling..

If the bottom of the radiators are cooler than the top when the bike is standing still and idling, than the water pump impeller is not turning. You should be able to see the fluid moving across the top of the right radiator with the cap off.