Steve Hengeveld may race in Australia

Have heard that the Henge is racing the Finke desert race here in Australia in June.

I hope this is true as i would love to see an xr650 win Australia's premier desert race.

Dan Ashcraft came over in 95 and placed 2nd,came back in 96 and won it with a much better prepared attack on an ultra trick cr500.

Cr500's dominated this race for 12 years untill my mate Griffo won on a stroked KTM in 03,has been a Honda benefit since then with highly modified crf450's doing the deal.

Honda owns the desert here in Australia as well as in the U.S. i believe.

We are waiting confirmation from Steve,will let y'all know when i know more.

• 3 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see what he chooses,some bikes have been clocked at over 200kmh(124mph) i don't think a crf450r can go that fast but where the track is choppy the crf/yzf type bikes are an advantage.Average speed of the front runners is over 100kmh(62mph) could go either way.

We have asked if he can get here and pre-run as much as possible to see which way to go.

I'm sorta hoping he runs the xr.

The U.S. has a "listening" base in the area so he will be well supported.

We will see won't we.

A worked xr650r will do those speeds,it's called gearing tall gearing,if a stroked 525 can do it then an xr will shit it in.

We will see won't we.

like painkilla said you're like a dead record mate.

a zx 1 will do 300km/hr!!!

fancy that- it's called gearing - mate you must be a genious!!!

the 650R is no finke bike. it's had it's time. 1-2 years and didnt win. 500s won.

desert edge dont like em - too heavy and barrelie. 500s still whup em in the roughness of finke.

450rs will round em up and kill em.

still you can dream. not even a current model bike anymore down here. it's got 40kg on a crf450. in whooped out finke you cant beat that - plus you need real suspension and handling - 2 things the 650 aint got for finke.

(for you US guys finke is a 200km out and back race in whooped out desert. it's not baja in the slightest.)

Regardless of what he rides, Steve will be decently prepared and you know he'll have a fun time, win or not.

I'd bet Steve is going to ride whatever he can get lined up over there, whichever is offered by whomever is helping.

I seriously doubt that Am.Honda will have anything to do with his race there (like prepping/sending a bike). I wouldn't doubt if he brings his own Precision suspension for the XR or CRFx,, stuff he's used to.

Sure he's fast, but he might not win. It's hard to beat locals in their own back yard.

http://www.finkedesertrace.com.au/

Did I read that correctly - It's a 2 day race but elapsed time is only about 4 hours?

It looks like the buggies/trucks beat the bikes on OA time, kinda like our San Felipe race....bikes get spanked by the buggies/trucks, and Felipe is very rough/whooped.

Yep it's down to Finke on day one,an overnighter then back the next.Basically a 2 part sprint race.

You are right,he just wants to get over here and ride anywhere he can and have a look around while having a good time.

Will probably ride a locally prepped crf with his own suspension settings.

I think he will win this race but the locals absolutely hammer.

Dan Ashcraft both years he came over brang trick cr500's the wildest looking cr's i have ever seen.Ultra trick by my standards anyway.

I will get some video of him and punch it up here somewhere.

The guy seems like a really decent fellow real down to earth.

With the other i'm just stirring the pot.Fishing for fools.

Yep it's down to Finke on day one,an overnighter then back the next.Basically a 2 part sprint race.

You are right,he just wants to get over here and ride anywhere he can and have a look around while having a good time.

Will probably ride a locally prepped crf with his own suspension settings.

I think he will win this race but the locals absolutely hammer.

Dan Ashcraft both years he came over brang trick cr500's the wildest looking cr's i have ever seen.Ultra trick by my standards anyway.

I will get some video of him and punch it up here somewhere.

The guy seems like a really decent fellow real down to earth.

With the other i'm just stirring the pot.Fishing for fools.

Ummm with your spelling...who's the fool.

If you fish you're supposed to put fish symbol in your posts - fool!

• 1 month later...

Well The Finke has been run and won Ben Brooks won it i would say the corrected time may prove otherwise but i think Ben has won .

Steve did ride he came in 9th or 10th not sure, corrected time thing again.

And guess what he rode a BIG RED PIG he had an option to ride a CRF450 or a BRP and he chose to be different and ride a class machine.

And i do believe he will be back next year and get some prerunning time in.

Ya gotta remember he raced the 500 last weekend got here late in the week and raced on Saturday and Sunday.

I heard some babble about him definitely riding a CRF somewhere by some painfully pathetic know it all peanuts.

I thought you yanks could ride,an Aussie will win the Baja 500 next year you watch you just wait and see fer sure buddy fer sure.

INCOMING.

Well The Finke has been run and won Ben Brooks won it i would say the corrected time may prove otherwise but i think Ben has won .

Steve did ride he came in 9th or 10th not sure, corrected time thing again.

And guess what he rode a BIG RED PIG he had an option to ride a CRF450 or a BRP and he chose to be different and ride a class machine.

And i do believe he will be back next year and get some prerunning time in.

Ya gotta remember he raced the 500 last weekend got here late in the week and raced on Saturday and Sunday.

I heard some babble about him definitely riding a CRF somewhere by some painfully pathetic know it all peanuts.

I thought you yanks could ride,an Aussie will win the Baja 500 next year you watch you just wait and see fer sure buddy fer sure.

INCOMING.

At least some honesty should be posted.

Place and bike:

1st - CRF450R

3rd - CRF450R

4th - CRF450R

7th - CRF450R

8th - CRF450R

Henge finished 9th.

No pre race hype said he was riding a CRF whatsoever so not sure where you dig your info from. He was always going to ride a 650R with his own suspension - never a 450R.

Clearly he is a great rider. Put it another way. If Aussies went to the US and tried to race desert they would have their asses handed to themselves.

he won't race a 650R.

Maybe this guy posted some rubbish.

I actually got my info over the telephone line it's a new thing you may not have heard of it,talked to a guy called Steve an American races for Honda in America or so he says.

Said he would race a xr650 in the Finke advised this "Steve" that a CRF might be a better option but he said he was just happy to "ride in your country" your country being actually my country.

I can actually type slower for you if need be.

he won't race a 650R.

Maybe this guy posted some rubbish.

I actually got my info over the telephone line it's a new thing you may not have heard of it,talked to a guy called Steve an American races for Honda in America or so he says.

I also hinted to this "Steve" that a CRF might be a better choice and this "Steve" said all he wanted to do was "just ride in your country" your country actually being my country if you know what i mean.

I can type slower if it's all too confusing anyhoo.

And yes an Aussie won't be winning the 1000 any time soon

All my best to the wife and kids and as might seem apparent "keep up the good work" as you are the rock that i lean on.

hugs and kisses.

At least some honesty should be posted.

Place and bike:

1st - CRF450R

3rd - CRF450R

4th - CRF450R

7th - CRF450R

8th - CRF450R

Henge finished 9th.

No pre race hype said he was riding a CRF whatsoever so not sure where you dig your info from. He was always going to ride a 650R with his own suspension - never a 450R.

Clearly he is a great rider. Put it another way. If Aussies went to the US and tried to race desert they would have their asses handed to themselves.

This has already occured HRC. Remember a fella named John Hederics? He's the one who raced in "The Australian Safari" 7 times and won all but one on his mighty XR6. In 1993 he went to the states and entered the "Nevada Rally", getting a major touch up. I guess it must be the nature of the terrain, our deserts are different to in the states.