HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zique

Just started conversion...

4 posts in this topic

No, not religion...

I just started to convert my YZ to a street legal machine...I'm going for the ultimate minimalist kit. I don't need to really see at night, since the streets here are pretty well lighted anyway. As a result, I am going to rig up a complete battery system (so I don't have to fuss w/ the stator) to run a simple led tail and led headlight and the horn. I plan on just simply charging the battery at home once a week or so. That's it. I just want to be able to ride it up to school and back, a little around town, and between trails and tracks. I'm pretty excited. I'm hoping to get it done for under $150.

:thumbsup: Anyway, I will be taking pics and such of the process in case any of you in the less strict states are interested in doing the same. :thumbsup:

I will warn you right now that I have to do it piece-by-piece though since I don't have $150 to just by all the stuff right now. It will probably take me a couple weeks and some OT at work, but I'll come up w/ the extra $$ to get this thing on, but I'll keep ya'll posted.

Just so you know if you don't have $150 to buy parts to convert it all at once right now your gonna be a little dissapointed when you try to get tags and what not. I'm not sure on the laws in your state but you must have insurance, tags, inspection sticker, and county/city decal to ride on the street in VA. Insurance is $600 a year for me on a RC51(sportbike), tags are $32 a year, taxes on the title crap was $75, inspection $15, county decal $28. Then DOT tires gonna run you another $115 or so. So check it out before you change your mind.

:thumbsup:

I've checked into it all. I already have the $$ for that saved up...you are getting ripped though man. It is $80 for license (tags), inspection $6, DOT tires (hehe, my inspection guy will let my knobbies pass...That will at least buy me some time to find some used rims that I can switch back and forth), and insurance for me is only $182 for the year! Total = $268, which I have saved from my state tax return.

Thanks for the heads-up though...

I've now purchased everything but the battery, which I will be getting tomorrow. Set-up so far $99.76. Battery is going to be about $15, and then I need to buy a little bit of wire (maybe $5 or so). So far so good.

BTW, I guess I lucked out that I didn't have to buy a car for the 4 months I lived in Roanoke! Sounds like they take you for every penny your worth!