650L Complete exhaust...which one?

Got the cash...need a pipe (complete, header and muffler) for the XR. Any rcomendations? Sources? Prices?

I picked up a XRs only complete svstem,stainless oval model late last summer and could not be happier with it. It seems to be well made (no rivets) It is kind of loud but I don't mind and the neighbors seem not to mind either. I think it was like 535.00. I also ended up putting the XRs only mikuni flat slide carb on and that has worked out very well.

• 2 weeks later...

Awhile back, I was looking for a stainless exhaust system, and someone recommended the Wileyco system. I haven't bought it yet, but here's a picture of it. You can also search the forum for "exhaust" and the info is in a thread called "Aftermarket Exhaust Question for the XR650L" (I think?)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/kelleyseiler/MODS%20to%202006%20XR650/HappyTrailsRack.jpg

I went with a XR's only stainless steel header and comp exhaust with a quite insert, it is made very well , fits good except for the can mounts, had to enlong the holes a litte, not bad, with nice all around power. The bad part is getting the damn thing, they tell you its in stock when in fact its not,they just lie to you, had to wait almost 4 weeks and lots of phone calls to get it, a very good pipe if your not in a hurry.

I went with a XR's only stainless steel header and comp exhaust with a quite insert, it is made very well , fits good except for the can mounts, had to enlong the holes a litte, not bad, with nice all around power. The bad part is getting the damn thing, they tell you its in stock when in fact its not,they just lie to you, had to wait almost 4 weeks and lots of phone calls to get it, a very good pipe if your not in a hurry.

How did your quiet core work out for you/ Did it tone it down over the way the pipe came? Is that for the oval can system?

My can is perfectly round,but the quiet core just goes between the silencer and the end cap so might work on an oval, and yes, it made it very quiet, just a little louder than stock, but does lose a little power up the pipe, but not much. Still way better than stock.

Just a dumb idea but what about just using the stocker? For all the noise the aftermarket pipes make is it worth losing places to ride to gain a few HP at peak RPM's???

Aftermarket "upgrades" are probably the most over-hyped products available. Granted, some are improvements. some are BIG improvements, but many are marginal or worse, at best. I do question the bang for the buck ratio on slip-on units.

The stocker is heavy, but so is a gallon of gas. Plus, the baffle can be installed or removed in about one minute, and I can spend the $500 on something else.

Aftermarket "upgrades" are probably the most over-hyped products available. Granted, some are improvements. some are BIG improvements, but many are marginal or worse, at best. I do question the bang for the buck ratio on slip-on units.

The stocker is heavy, but so is a gallon of gas. Plus, the baffle can be installed or removed in about one minute, and I can spend the $500 on something else.

I've never bought into the slip on units. when the place I used to work at started selling them back in the early 80's and the rivets would loosen up we new we had to divert customers attention from them so I think we offered up better deals on full systems.

My bike is stock as stock can get, and I enjoy it huge! If I was going desert racing, sure, I'd do something different. But for zipping around the trails here, or even doing a hare scramble, it's good! I figure most guys prep their bikes way beyond their riding capabilities, or way beyond what they will be using the bike for.

My bike is stock as stock can get, and I enjoy it huge! If I was going desert racing, sure, I'd do something different. But for zipping around the trails here, or even doing a hare scramble, it's good! I figure most guys prep their bikes way beyond their riding capabilities, or way beyond what they will be using the bike for.

Some guys do prep way beyond but I would not say most.When putting on aftermarket carbs and pipes most people I think just want the bike to breath and run with out the emphasema like effects that have been placed on the manufactures. What comes stock now on are bikes is probably not what was originaly intended. Look at what Daves mods can do!

It is all about breathing on a normally aspirated engine.

Better flowing air filters, carbs, heads, cams and pipes always do the trick for me. It is at a trade off for bottom end though-and thats where the lower gears come in handy. Beside-I like to tinker as much as I like to ride. :confused:

Never been a big slip on fan either-but I have witnessed some nice performance and drive-ability gains from a well designed and correctly chosen can. ?

I have to be honest... I don't care about the noise issue as I don't ride off road-and I absolutely want to be heard on the street in the traffic that I drive in.

I have ordered a FMF complete system with the power bomb, power-4 and a heat shield. We will see how it compares to the W/B oversize header and e-series set up that I had.

I was actually considering the complete XRs only system-but listening to the sales guy on the phone, while his helper went rattling through the attic looking for the right header-and considering the bad reviews from members on this board-I'll pass. ?