HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
koondawg

key on wr?

18 posts in this topic

In Australia they come with a ignition and key as standard, this is all done by Yamahas engineering division.

Same here...key ignition is standard and retro fitted by dealer with genuine Yamaha Part that must be listed some where and thus easily obtained and fitted by home mechs. Dont know the part number though and dont fancy dismantling mine to find it.... :thumbsup:

I'd love a keyed ignition vs. the button. The button doesn't seem like it will hold up to some abuse.

I have installed a key to my WR 2006.

The place is not the most appropriate but good.

DSCF2259.JPG

DSCF2488.JPG

I am afraid your key placement makes it quite vulnerable in case of a crash... I like your light protector though

Hey Tim! I didn't know you hung around the WR section of Thumper talk! I know... you have always wanted a yamachuckle WR, right? :thumbsup:

Bob

I totaly forgot you bought a new WR. Well.... How does it go?

Bob

Bikes awesome Bob! When we riding again? Here's a pic of her(quality sucks)...

photo011.jpg

yea, I want one,

Best place to get key??

I have a ttr for my wife I would like to put one on as well. I hear Moab has one of the highest crime rates in the nation. And look forward to freqin there often

I should have bookmarked the site, 'cause I found one a couple days ago...sorry guys, it didn't fit my YZ so I didn't commit it to memory :thumbsup:

Do a search in this forum, someone here used a TTR switch and it plugged right into the WR harness where the button plugged in. If I remember right, he even set it up with a nuetral light.

So I found people use the ttr125le key or crf230 key.

Any pros to one over the other?

Gonna do this this week.

I think a key would be more user friendly when using a number plate as long as you could fabricate a key mount like the one on the ttr225. Plus im going to need one to keep my nephew off my bike. I will call the TT Store on Monday and see if they can track one down for us!

So where does the factory mount the key?

Mine was placed (by dealer) where the push button normally goes:

Hope these photos work??

One with key inserted:

th_WR450FKey002.jpg

And without:

th_WR450FKey001.jpg

It is very simple and proabably easily shorted/hotwired but definitely more secure than a button... :thumbsup:

I checked the manual - no mention of key