HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
driven

Having a hard time choosing...'01 426f or '04 250f?

4 posts in this topic

I just sold my '01 KX125 and want a 4-stroke MX'er. I don't race, just trails & gravel pits. I have located 2 options locally...an '01 YZ426F for $1700 (not raced, no extras), and an '04 YZ250F for $1900 (raced one season with a TON of extras). I am leaning towards the 250f. I also own an RM250 and it's not as much fun as my KX was. Too easy to get in over my head! I know the 426 has a bit more power than the RM but is also heavier. Is it an easier bike to ride than a 2-stroke 250?

I currently ride a modded DRZ400SM on the street which is making close to the same hp as a stock 426. I love my DRZ...

Is the 426 a better choice than the 250f?

I just sold my '01 KX125 and want a 4-stroke MX'er. I don't race, just trails & gravel pits. I have located 2 options locally...an '01 YZ426F for $1700 (not raced, no extras), and an '04 YZ250F for $1900 (raced one season with a TON of extras). I am leaning towards the 250f. I also own an RM250 and it's not as much fun as my KX was. Too easy to get in over my head! I know the 426 has a bit more power than the RM but is also heavier. Is it an easier bike to ride than a 2-stroke 250?

I currently ride a modded DRZ400SM on the street which is making close to the same hp as a stock 426. I love my DRZ...

Is the 426 a better choice than the 250f?

I originally started on a KDX 200 - 2 smoke - loved it, light and nimble, then went to the KLX 300 4 stroke, and now a CRF 450X, and wow, awesome awesome bike. Recently bought a YZF 426 for my oldest son, and it has almost as much power as my 450, super fun bike to ride. I'd say go with the 426, but I am biased. :thumbsup:

I'm sure you'll have fun riding either but I can tell you I had an easier time riding my bike while my friend was struggling riding his 426 and he's significantly younger and more experienced rider. I own a 04 250F, the 04 is a real nice riding and running bike. I also own two 06 250Fs and for the type of rider I am I would unload an 06 before my 04. The 426 while supper powerful is an 01, it has a decompression lever and the hot start not conviently located if I recall from my friends bike. Plus my 04 has always ran like a dream.

I expected biased opinions in this forum! :thumbsup:

Just didn't want to be disappointed going from a sub 200 lb bike to the nearly 250 lb 426. The 250f is looking like a better choice for me, but I may buy them both since it looks like there's room to resell the 426 and make a little cash... :thumbsup: