Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zique

Kickstand on a YZ

42 posts in this topic

Hey guys...just wondering if anyone has found a decent kickstand for under $80. I need one for my YZ 426 but can't seem to bring myself to pay $150 for a convenience item.

I have the Trailtech, it's great. The pivot bolt did break once on me, but I think that was from over-tightening it when I put it on. I got a replacement and went easy with the wrench and it's worked fine.

At first glances that looks like a pretty decent deal but on closer inspection:

...primed ready to paint

Instead of nice shiny "Cold Forged 7075 Aluminum"...

and:

this stand for bike only, not for ridder, or starting.

The Trailtech is guaranteed to be strong enough to stand on the bike while starting it... From their page, "Go ahead - stand on the bike and kick it. Trail Tech kickstands are guaranteed to hold up to the riders weight."

And it comes with a "100% Satisfaction Guarantee - If for any reason you are not satisfied with our kickstand, return it for a full refund. "

http://www.trailtech.net/kickstand_1.htm

Is it worth saving $20 to give that much up?

I ran some Mothers mag and Wheel polish on mine and you can comb your hair in the reflection from it.

The Trailtech is guaranteed to be strong enough to stand on the bike while starting it... From their page, "Go ahead - stand on the bike and kick it. Trail Tech kickstands are guaranteed to hold up to the riders weight."

What's up with people using the Kickstand to start their bikes? ... Im 5'7" and dont have any trouble with one leg on the ground. If its really bad Ill find a high spot or a stump or rock to stand my left foot on. Id never even think of starting on the kickstand. Either your bikes run like crap or you are a bunch of weakings. :thumbsup:

PS. And that was when I had a 426. No decompression cam. 39.2 seat height!

TrailTech's are nice, but if you want a GREAT kickstand you need a ProMotoBillet kickstand. A couple of my buddies have TrailTechs and both guys have lost the pivot bolt while riding, thusly losing the stand as it swung into the rear wheel and snapping the spring....TrailTech stood behind there product and warrantied it no problem, but wouldn't you rather have a kickstand that didn't come apart while riding....my buddies where both lucky that it didn't cause a crash. PMBs also have a slightly bigger pad for soft soils and an internal spring so they look sweet.

Either your bikes run like crap or you are a bunch of weakings. :thumbsup:

PS. And that was when I had a 426. No decompression cam. 39.2 seat height!

Wow, you sure are a funny little man... :thumbsup:

And I stress little. I'm 6'4" 240lbs and have no troubles kicking my bike over on the first kick, or for how ever many it takes.

I mention the starting ability of the Trailtech simply as a descriptor of strength. And a lot of the shorter guys need that ability.

However I ain't one of them. :confused:

Hey guys...just wondering if anyone has found a decent kickstand for under $80. I need one for my YZ 426 but can't seem to bring myself to pay $150 for a convenience item.

I went with the trail tech for YZF 426, works great !! $80 bucks, over time it will be worth it, not having to lean the bike up against a tree etc etc, and getting it scuffed, plastics broke. buy it - you won't regret it.

At first glances that looks like a pretty decent deal but on closer inspection:

Instead of nice shiny "Cold Forged 7075 Aluminum"...

and:

And it comes with a "100% Satisfaction Guarantee - If for any reason you are not satisfied with our kickstand, return it for a full refund. "

http://www.trailtech.net/kickstand_1.htm

Is it worth saving $20 to give that much up?

I ran some Mothers mag and Wheel polish on mine and you can comb your hair in the reflection from it.

To be honest, no it is not worth the $20. I found that kickstand on eBay as well, but I don't even trust it to stay up while I'm riding. I don't necessarily need it to hold me up while i'm starting it (I'm 6'2" and my bike starts like a dream) but I don't want to worry if I want to sit on my bike while the stand is down.

It looks like I'm going to have to spend the 85+ bones on a Trail Tech. ..where the cheapest place you've found? I found it on eBay for $84, but then $12 shipping. Anywhere else?

Spend the extra cash and get a ProMoto Billet. You won't regret it. I've had them on 3 bikes now and consider them one of the best upgrades on each.

Spend the extra cash and get a ProMoto Billet. You won't regret it. I've had them on 3 bikes now and consider them one of the best upgrades on each.

I'd love to, but I am with Zique, I will take the extra $70 I save and buy a Trail Tech speedo instead.

I'm not happy with the TrailTech stand on my 426. :thumbsup: It's held up ok and seems strong enough but (when riding) the swingarm comes in contact with the stand in it's retracted position to the point that I've got a worn down edge and possibly weakened swingarm now.

If you're using the TrailTech I suggest you go look at the upper edge of your swingarm right beside the top mounted chain rest and look for any wear. I'd say mines got about 1mm of aluminum worn right off that edge. The stand also has gotten worn on the inside from that rub but hasn't suffered nearly as bad as the swingarm. :thumbsup:

CampCount450 is dead on. The best 80 bucks I have spent has been on the trail tech. I will keep an eye on it to make sure it does not back out or break, (if I can catch it in time) but already it has made life much easier. I just cant spend the cash on a billit piece. You would do well getting this item, me thinks, (new guy I am).

The ebay stand looks pretty nice. I'm 5'4" and have zero problem starting my bike even when its flooded.(thanks to new spark plug and perfectly adjusted fuel screw)I would want a stand just so I could go up a hill and help my friends if they get stuck. Yes it is kinda nice to start my dad's bike with my foot on the peg but I don't think its worth the 150 for the pmb. I'd rather get my forks re-valved or a new skidplate and rad guards but thats just my two cents.