Smog Removal/2005 XR 650L

OK, I've looked at the smog removal steps on 4Strokes.com but those are for a 1995 XR. My 2005 XR has an extra Evap canister with some hoses that I'm not sure what to do with. Is there any updated web site that addresses the newer model XR? ??

It's probably the PCV canister. The smog block-off kits are for 49-state & 49-state+1. I'll let you figure out what the "+1" state is... ?

(One) way to eliminate it is to take the crankcase breather hose and attach it directly to the bottom nipple of the air box (if it's long enough). You might need a longer hose i fyou don't have the discarded ones from the smog block-off work. I did. Then plug or cap off the top nipple on the air box (under the seat). K&N also makes generic PCV filters to eliminate the need to run it into the air box. This is the other way.

One thing for sure is you don't want to have a draft tube, or leave it open, since this creates the possibility of a reverse draw or suction happening thereby pulling dirt and/or water in the case. ?

Don't toss the smog crap. Supposedly, California will start requiring smog checks on bikes next year (maybe 2008). Part of the check will be the visual inspection. They will be looking for the evap canister. No one really knows how the smog checks will work for bikes.

Having to put the stuff back on will suck. Having to buy it again would suck more. Just stuffing it in a box will be cheap insurance in case you need it again.

I think that Arizona started smog checks for bikes this year in the Phoenix area. Anyone from Arizona know how bike smog checks are implemented there?

Hi and welcome to the board.

I have an 06' model and recently went through the smog removal process. It's pretty straight forward and bare with me as I'm going by memory and I keep the bike in Wrightwood so I can't go look at the moment for reference.

I'll be up there this weekend installing the BRP triple clamps, Pro-Taper bars and the Big Gun exhaust so if you get stuck you can contact me via pm and I'll give you my number.

Remove the smog pump, air evaporator canister and all related hoses. Route the crankcase hose to the bottom of the air box which will take some trimming but it will reach. You will need to use rubber block off caps in four locations on the carburetor. You can purchase the carb block off kit which will supply you with the metal plates you will need at the cyl. head or you can trace the pattern onto a piece of 3/16" steel plate and cut and drill the holes your self...your call. For the price of the smog removal kit (20 bucks) you can fab it yourself for about 10$ including going to the auto parts store to purchase the rubber caps.

Since yours is a Ca. bike as mine, and probably runs as anemic as mine did, you will need to install the correct jetting to get it to perform. I don't know where you are in Ca. but I can give you my jetting specs that performs cleanly, bottom to top with the stock exhaust. With an aftermarket exhaust, plan to up one on the pilot and one on the main from what i've established.

good luck....it's easy. ?

Regarding smog on bikes it might be comming it seems. As I understand any bike brought into Arizona must be smog checked before it can be registered. This particular guy had a old BMW air head I think. Wonder what they use for emissions limits etc?

Thanks for the advice. I just got my IMS block off kit today so I'll start wrencing on it tomorrow. Also I guess I'll keep the smog equipment just in case the state requires it in the future. Is there really any performance difference or am I just cutting weight? ?

Hi and welcome to the board.

I have an 06' model and recently went through the smog removal process. It's pretty straight forward and bare with me as I'm going by memory and I keep the bike in Wrightwood so I can't go look at the moment for reference.

I'll be up there this weekend installing the BRP triple clamps, Pro-Taper bars and the Big Gun exhaust so if you get stuck you can contact me via pm and I'll give you my number.

Remove the smog pump, air evaporator canister and all related hoses. Route the crankcase hose to the bottom of the air box which will take some trimming but it will reach. You will need to use rubber block off caps in four locations on the carburetor. You can purchase the carb block off kit which will supply you with the metal plates you will need at the cyl. head or you can trace the pattern onto a piece of 3/16" steel plate and cut and drill the holes your self...your call. For the price of the smog removal kit (20 bucks) you can fab it yourself for about 10$ including going to the auto parts store to purchase the rubber caps.

Since yours is a Ca. bike as mine, and probably runs as anemic as mine did, you will need to install the correct jetting to get it to perform. I don't know where you are in Ca. but I can give you my jetting specs that performs cleanly, bottom to top with the stock exhaust. With an aftermarket exhaust, plan to up one on the pilot and one on the main from what i've established.

good luck....it's easy. ?

Mike you mention you plugged four nipples on the carb. Does the IMS kit state how to do this? How did you know which four nips. I've got a 50 state 2006 model and it's got one small tube coming off to smog pump. I assume this is like the Ca. bikes. thanks

Thanks for the advice. I just got my IMS block off kit today so I'll start wrencing on it tomorrow. Also I guess I'll keep the smog equipment just in case the state requires it in the future. Is there really any performance difference or am I just cutting weight? ?

I think that you are just cutting weight removing the smog stuff. At least it was that way in the late 90s. It has 2 systems. First is the evaporative system. It's job is to catch the vapors from the carb. When the bike is running the air is sucked thru the canister and burned in the engine. Second is the smog pump. It just pumps air into the exhaust. From what I understand the bike exhaust is too cool for the extra air to "burn" the residual hydrocarbons. All it does is dilute the bad stuff enough so that the levels are lower. Not less smog stuff, just more diluted. Maybe you gain 1/10 hp from not running the smog pump.

Performance comes from jetting it correctly.

Mike you mention you plugged four nipples on the carb. Does the IMS kit state how to do this? How did you know which four nips. I've got a 50 state 2006 model and it's got one small tube coming off to smog pump. I assume this is like the Ca. bikes. thanks

IT was pretty self explaining since the hoses from the smog equipment went to these locations. When you pull a hose, replace it with a cap. As I mentioned I'll be up ( Wrightwood) installing a new triple clamp assembly, pro-taper bars and the Gig Gun this weekend and I can look closer.

There's no performance gain per' say, but with the pig that they are, onces add up to lbs. I'm still working on the weight issue and maybe can report on that later.

As already mentioned previously in this post, it's getting the jetting spot on and letting it breath that will help unleash the beast.

Thanks for the advice. I just got my IMS block off kit today so I'll start wrencing on it tomorrow. Also I guess I'll keep the smog equipment just in case the state requires it in the future. Is there really any performance difference or am I just cutting weight? :bonk:

Nope, just better driveability & less popping on decelleration. Basically you're dropping (very little) weight & you're providing better access to the left side of the motor. :confused: I wouldn't worry about the smog certs now for motorcycles. I checked the CA DMV website and there isn't any talk of implementing this for MC's, and I highly doubt it'll be retroactive. Meaning it won't apply to years prior to the requirement actually going into effect. ?

Modifying any of the following intake, carb, motor and/or exhaust systems is when you'll notice a difference in performance. Just be prepared to make the appropriate jetting changes once you do modiy any one or all of these. ?