HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slowxr

Rear wheel twitching side to side under power?

5 posts in this topic

I road through some damp sand over the weekend and noticed the following. The trail that my rear tire left was "zig zagging". It looked like a snake trail. It wasn't a straight line.

This was on fairly smooth sand, 5 gear under power, on the pegs. I don't notice anything while riding, I was just surprised at this path.

What causes this? Is this a common Xr650 trait?

Check your rear wheel bearings, and the bushings. For a while, my rear end would make this chattering if I applied the brakes on a trail, and I couldn't figure out what it was for the longest time.

One day I decided to go check my bearings, and I could move the tire back and forth about a half inch; not good. When I went to replace them, noticed that the bushings were pretty worn too; the soft aluminum doesn't hold up. One of the sites on here talks about how to fix the bushings so you don't go through a million sets of bearings.

If thats not it, check your spokes; mine becoming loose every once and while too.

Yep, could be the wheel bearings, swingarm bushings, loose spokes, wheel out of true, rear wheel not straight (adjusters), or even a funny wear pattern on the knobs.

Dave

I put the bike up on the stand and pushed and pulled the tire/swingarm. Is this enough to tell if there is a bearing/bushing out of spec?

It all seemed tight.

Also, the tire appears true. I ran the bike on the stand the wheel appears to spin straight.