HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YamahaWR450FMike

Trail Tech Question

14 posts in this topic

When riding my WR450 over 65 mph, my trailtech starts double reading and giving me false mph readings. Have it installed correctly, but I'm thinking the sensor is too close to the pick up. Anyone have ideas on how to solve the problem?

Mine did the same thing (read I was going 135 mph) I temp mounted it in case an adjustment was needed. If I remember correctly I had to bring the pickup a little closer to the mag.

I had the same problem with mine. Take a piece of emery paper and clean the contacts between the computer and its mount. Mine got a little corroded (even though they didn't look that bad) so it had erratic contact and would give me crazy readings. Cleaning the contacts took care of the problem and it's been working fine since. :thumbsup:

It has to do with position of the pick up to the magnet. On mine after the initial install per the instructions mine was double reading. I did a search in this forum and adjusted the pick up accordingly. It has worked fine since. I would tell you what I did but can't remember the moves I made. I think it needs to be moved out further on the caliper about 3/8 of an inch from what the instructions say.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167049&highlight=trailtech+double+reading

um well I looked at my wheel and where the pick up is mounted on the brake calaper and there looks like there is no way of moving it away from the magnet.

Are your contacts clean? If they look AT ALL iffy, clean them up a little. Takes 10 seconds and then you can see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, then you know it's not the problem and you can go look else where. :thumbsup:

yeah everything is clean. Thinking of putting some kind of a coating over the magnet so that it doesn't give such a strong magneticfield. That might work

um well I looked at my wheel and where the pick up is mounted on the brake calaper and there looks like there is no way of moving it away from the magnet.

It's not the space between the magnet and the sensor horizontally that you want to change. It's where along the body of the sensor the magnet passes. Try moving the sensor up or down the caliper mount.

I had the very same problem a while back with double readings and after contacting Trailtech (coz i thought it was duff?) they told me that if the magnet on the rotor passes the pick-up in the centre it WILL give strange readings. I moved the sensor further away so that the end of the pick-up now passes across the centre of the magnet but not covering it entirely as the wheel rotates. picture a half eclipse of the sun sort of thing? I am not certain but from what i remember, trailtech said there are 2 pickups and not one centrally, but don't quote me on that. if you look closely at the pickup, there appears to be 2 small circular marks which would indicate 2 pickups, maybe this is why they are very sensitive? anyway, hope this helps?

If you decide to get a new computer before you buy check out ICO's dual sport speedo. http://www.icoracing.com/index.htm

It is about the same price as the Trail Tech stuff but it is 100% waterproof, VERY durable and they stand behind their product. They have been making some of the best Enduro computers for years.

If you decide to get a new computer before you buy check out ICO's dual sport speedo. http://www.icoracing.com/index.htm

It is about the same price as the Trail Tech stuff but it is 100% waterproof, VERY durable and they stand behind their product. They have been making some of the best Enduro computers for years.

They don't list a manual for the dual sport model. It looks like you can't view your speed and the trip odometer on the same screen. Is that the case? I assume you can increment the trip odometer. Another unit that looks interesting is the Electrosport 3700 but I can't seem to find out if it will allow you to increment the tripmeter in 0.1 mile increments. Anyone know?

http://www.electrosport.com/electrosport_mx_speedometers.html

They don't list a manual for the dual sport model. It looks like you can't view your speed and the trip odometer on the same screen. Is that the case? I assume you can increment the trip odometer. Another unit that looks interesting is the Electrosport 3700 but I can't seem to find out if it will allow you to increment the tripmeter in 0.1 mile increments. Anyone know?

http://www.electrosport.com/electrosport_mx_speedometers.html

No you cannot see the odo and speedo at the same time but they make a thumb control that makes it easy to toggle between the two.