EFI is coming!

It sucks to get your doors blown off by a KTM 450/525 EXC just because the guy has an extra gear.

I have a few friends in my group with some real nice KTMs, I ride them all the time. The 450's never out run my WR, my one buddy with the 525's got me beat by just a hair.. I think it says a lot that it takes a KTM with 60cc's more displacement and another gear to barely edge out the 5 valve Yamaha..

I mostly ride desert with some single track mixed in, even then I favor the 5 speed over a six speed, but if the WR ever gets a six speed I would hope that it's a closer ratio spread than the current 5 speed.

I have a few friends in my group with some real nice KTMs, I ride them all the time. The 450's never out run my WR, my one buddy with the 525's got me beat by just a hair.. I think it says a lot that it takes a KTM with 60cc's more displacement and another gear to barely edge out the 5 valve Yamaha..

I mostly ride desert with some single track mixed in, even then I favor the 5 speed over a six speed, but if the WR ever gets a six speed I would hope that it's a closer ratio spread than the current 5 speed.

I should have said that if you gear for each ride, you can hang. If you don't the KTM's do have the advantage. Power wise, I agree the WR's give up nothing to the 525's.

Thats what im talking about, ive got a 15 front sprocket and am still out of gear to soon in fifth, I would do anything to have a sixth gear, not to up on the EFI thing, fun to play with but in the long run more headaches and more money every year.

Unfortunately it won't happen. The Japanese manufacturers seem to have a "good enough" mentality regarding five speeds in their off-road bikes, and changing that is too much of a design departure for them from the MX model it's based on.
Unfortunately it won't happen. The Japanese manufacturers seem to have a "good enough" mentality regarding five speeds in their off-road bikes, and changing that is too much of a design departure for them from the MX model it's based on.

:thumbsup: well said

I completely disagree with your assumption..

The Japanese manufacturers seem to have a "good enough" mentality regarding five speeds in their off-road bikes, and changing that is too much of a design departure for them from the MX model it's based on.
Ain't that the truth!

Then why did the WR450 have a 5 speed and the YZ450 have a 4 speed?

I agree that it is unlikely to see a 6 speed, it has enough power for the wide ratio's of the 5 speed. If you think they are too close, gear it up!

The reason Dan and many others would like a close ratio 6-speed is it would work better on an MX track and Harescrambles.

I thought they went to the 4-speed in the YZ450 because of broken gears in the YZ426's. :thumbsup: The problem is 4-speed MX bike's are a tough sell used to people looking for an off road bike. Fortunately, Yamaha finally went back to the 5-speed.

I thought they went to the 4-speed in the YZ450 because of broken gears in the YZ426's.

They did it because for MX riding you don't need a 5 speed and a 4 speed weighs less. The early YZ400's that were raced in Supercross had only 3 gears with 1st and 5th gears removed. Unfortunately they underestimated the impact on the off-road market in the process. Kawasaki is doing the same thing with the KX450 which is a 4 speed as well.

They did it because for MX riding you don't need a 5 speed and a 4 speed weighs less. The early YZ400's that were raced in Supercross had only 3 gears with 1st and 5th gears removed. Unfortunately they underestimated the impact on the off-road market in the process. Kawasaki is doing the same thing with the KX450 which is a 4 speed as well.

i would say its a little of both,as the yamaha 4 spd gears are 20% larger than the 5 spd gears they replaced. that would make it 20 % less wt in a 4spd over 5. i'm still wondering if they made the new 5 spd with the larger style gears or went back to the old ones? considering an 02 5spd gearset fits in the 03-05 4 spd box,and that they widened the motor for 06 i think maybe they did go with the larger style :thumbsup:

Then why did the WR450 have a 5 speed and the YZ450 have a 4 speed?
Simple. Both the WR and the YZ had 5 speeds before that. For the WR it was a simple matter of NOT switching to the 4 speed (as the YZ did) rather then some new design departure from the YZ. Want to know what the new WR will look like?...take the current YZ, add a bigger tank, lights, happy button, a sidestand and the usual re-tuning (aka de-tuning) for off-road. It will probably work good...but don't look for a unique design. They don't work that way.