HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tim_Whisnant

Scott's stainless steel oil filter

7 posts in this topic

Hey everybody !

I bought a '98 yz400 and it has one of those fancy Scott's oil filters. What's the best way to clean these things ?

Also, the fuel petcock doesn't shut off completely. Can I buy new gaskets for it or is a new one very expensive ??

How do tou like the 400 so far? I have the same bike. I think petcocks are pretty cheap, just get a new one and not have to worry about it :thumbsup:

I clean my stainless filter with almost any good cleaning agent I have handy , then spray with air from the inside out. Dont submerge it in the cleaner though, run the cleaner through it from the inside out. That will keep the contaminents from entering the filter.

swishing it in clean solvent, spraying it with carb cleaner, compressed air works well, even hot water and a good detergent. But whenever you work with them, avoid getting dirty cleaning fluid on the inside, like the man said. That's where the clean oil goes. Both mine use a Scotts. I won't use anything else.

You can take the petcock apart and replace the orings, its real easy and real cheap. just take it apart and go to napa, or autozone or lowes for that matter and match them up, there are 2 orings that seal it up.

You can take the petcock apart and replace the orings, its real easy and real cheap. just take it apart and go to napa, or autozone or lowes for that matter and match them up, there are 2 orings that seal it up.

I actually just replaced mine yesterday and I realized that there is only one o-ring and a special bushing that looks like a smiley face :D I just paid the $25 to replace a 8 year old part. And I found the best cleaner for the oil filter is good old paint thinner :applause: