Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
redmansz400

changing the oil

10 posts in this topic

ok this is the first time for me to change the oil on my bike. i saw a drain plug on the down tube do i need to pull that one out as well as the one on the case? and how much oil should it hold?

Don't forget the screen filter if it has not been done in a year. Then the filter, and it should hold just over a quart.

Nice looking bike Redman!!

I cant believe you have all of them mods, and such a nice wr400, and dont know how to change your oil :thumbsup:

I think they call it the 3 point change. 1) Drain Plug 2) Frame drain 3) oil filter

Get er done :thumbsup:

Don't forget the screen filter if it has not been done in a year. Then the filter, and it should hold just over a quart.

Actually, I think its just over 1 1/2 qts with the 3 point oil change. :thumbsup:

Nice looking bike Redman!!

I cant believe you have all of them mods, and such a nice wr400, and dont know how to change your oil :thumbsup:

I think they call it the 3 point change. 1) Drain Plug 2) Frame drain 3) oil filter

Get er done :thumbsup:

thanks the graphics and paint that i did really made the bike look better. it was just too plain with the white fork gaurds and # plates. this is the first "real" dirt bike that i've owned so i'm still new at this. the guy i bought it from said the last time he changed it was the beginning of last season so i figured it was about time. i need to get me a service manual for it. does running 10w-40 sound about right? he gave me a quart of 20-50 and 10-40 and couldn't remember what he put in last. i ride in 60-110 deg. f. weather. do i have to run the bike to check the level?

Run the bike for about 3 minutes & then check your level. Change your oil filter as well while your'e at it. Not sure of quarts but about 1.1 - 1.2lts.

Yes, you have to run it because it drains down into the case after sitting. You can run what ever you want, but if your getting above 80 I would put the 20-50 or 20-40. Below 80 10-40 is best. Honda runs 10-40 in all their air cooled XR's, and they are bullet proof. Key is regular oil changes because you only have a little over a quart for a hard running engine.

My Yamaha dealer recommended the yamalube 20w-50 so thats what I used. Then after doing research on it, I'm happy with my decision. Sense the oil is used for the clutch and transmission, its subjected to "shear", where it actually breaks down in viscosity rather quickly. So your 20w-50 actually turns into 10w-40.

My Yamaha dealer recommended the yamalube 20w-50 so thats what I used. Then after doing research on it, I'm happy with my decision. Sense the oil is used for the clutch and transmission, its subjected to "shear", where it actually breaks down in viscosity rather quickly. So your 20w-50 actually turns into 10w-40.

i'll go ahead and use the 20-50 i have a bit left from my Z400. i'll put the other in my 3 wheeler as soon as i stop the leak(i've been riding with no oil :thumbsup: )