wr 426 clutch trouble?

Started my bike last week after sitting idle for a month, put it into gear and it learched forward like there was no clutch. I left it idle for 5 mins thinking maybe the plates had bound due to me not using it over the cold weather, sure enough started working fine. I came home and checked it again after 45 mins - once again the back wheek was locked solid with the clutch pulled in?

The clutch is new - but worked fine for the first couple of rides?

It has now started overheating also!

I am using Motorex 10w40 fully synthetic oil?

Any ideas? : :thumbsup:

Hi Rwatts,

I am no expert but have just gone through what you describe. Only in my case, once it overheated the gawd awful smell (clutch frying) appeared. I have pulled my entire clutch apart and am waiting on new clutchplates. I do think you want to run regular oil for a while while the clutch sets up. As I recall, that was the warning of running Synthetic too soon when I got the bike - clutch slippage. Try regular oil and see if that helps ya :thumbsup:

Thanks fryboy,

I can ride the damn thing but am not great at stripping things down and putting them back together! Should have tried harder in school! lol! Anyway -

I changed the oil last night and intended to put castrol gts semi-synthetic in, I pulled the old stuff out (about 12 hours old) and noticed it was definately darker than usual. I also pulled out the oil filter to give it a clean and noticed lots of metal fragments - usually there is very little/none. Is this down to the new clutch or something more sinister?

Also, maybe I am loosing it but when i pulled the filter housing off, the filter fell out, there is a black rubber disk on the back of the oil filter. (i had the clutch changed at a garage and they changed the filter last) I am sure I used to take that rubber disk off, then locate the 2 holes on the back of the filter over 2 nipples at the back of the bore where the filter goes, this made me think the filter had to be pulled out last time I done it?

I ended up putting the remainder of my synthetic oil in and booking an appointment for the bike to go in to a garage! :thumbsup: