HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mpl239

01 yz426 carb thoughts

9 posts in this topic

Slowly trying to set up my 426 for trails, dropped to a 13t front sprocket, keeping the 49 in the rear - a good change. Have not done the math yet, but allows me to go slow enough to plot my path with a pea brain. Also the blue wire mod, it actually starts now.

Only remaining issue is idle speed. I cannot get a constant idle. Have not taken the carb off yet to clean it out, acts like the slide is sticking. Mixture seems good, burning 100LL (100 octane low lead av gas). Any thoughts?

Take it off and clean it thoroughly. I found all kinds of crap in mine. Runs like a champ now! It doesn't take long either. Fairly straight forward.

[ Also the blue wire mod, it actually starts now.

I too have an '01 426 and went to a 12 tooth front, it

gave me what I wanted on the trails, but what is the

"blue wire mod"? Also Raven is dead on :thumbsup: with the

carburator, had the same problem, cleaned it out good

and BAM! runs hot and fast :confused: terrific, idles perfect :thumbsup:

checkout motoman393.thumpertalk.com

the 01's have a pale blue wire that supplies voltage to the idle switch, which limits idle revs. If this is disconnected more voltqage goes to the CDI = hotter spark = easier starts. If you have issues, let me know and I will get into the details.

Turns out carb was gummed up with air cleaner oil and the pilot jet was semi plugged.

Mike

If you're setting up for trails I highly recommend a flywheel weight for the 426. It's the best mod I did, really smooths out the power delivery without sacraficing power at all. It also allows you to chop the thottle in tight trails without stalling. :thumbsup:

I setup my 426 with 13/51, and a rekluse Z-start. I ran a real tight hare scramble the other week and was pulling the front wheel up in the open straights in 4 and 5 gear. I since have put a 14 on the front, much better.