Oil Filter

The manual (for '03) recommends every 1000 km (620 miles).

I myself change the oil every 200-300 miles or so, and do a filter every other oil change. I use the standard paper type filters.

A lot of folks on this forum are big fans of the reusable stainless steel type, but personally I'm too lazy to go that route. The most important thing is to keep track of your mileage and change it (or clean it) at least as aften as the manufacturer recommends.

I change my filter every oil change. W/ regards to automotive engines which are based on the same principles as bikes most mechanics will tell you that you can probably let your oil go but change the filter often. I couldn't see draining dirty oil out and not putting a new filter in. I do agree that my XR filters look fairly decent when I change the oil though(150 or so miles in). However, it makes me feel better to change the filter each time. It's cheap insurance, IMO.

My take on re-usable stainless filters....Theres pros and cons there. Pro-save money in the long run. Those filters flow more PPM than paper style. Therefore when the filter gets dirty it won't prohibit/slow down the oil flow to your vital engine parts like a paper filter would.

Con-It flows more PPM than the paper style, therefore it flows more dirt and debris. I think the pros outweigh this. However, like I stated above I change my paper filters every oil change so it's really a non-issue for me. You can't judge a filters 'cleanliness' based upon how it looks on the outside(which most do). Cut that sucker open and have a look sometime. I bet people would change it everytime after that.

I get the EMGO filters for $4.00 at a local shop. Thats about $8 cheaper than the OEM filter. The filters have performed flawlessly so at that price I can buy about 17 filters for the price of one SS re-usable and you get better filtration with the paper filters ?

17 filters for me = 4,250 to 5,100 miles ?

Oil no more then 300 normal riding, or if I have a hard long day or two in the dust. Filter every 3-4 oil changes. Honda 10w-40 until it warms up then Yamalube 20W-40 when I run out of Honda 20w-50. Paper filters only, K&N for 7.00, but thinking about trying Hiflo. SS filters allow 3-4 times the particle size through then paper.

I have a SS filter and love it. I change my oil every other ride, and clean my oil filter when I change my oil. People have told me that the SS will screw up engines, I am not buying it one bit. Because my bike hasn't had any problems. But for most people this is a topic that has to do with reassurance.

I changed my oil in my 05 WR450 last week after about 300 miles (third oil change) and it seemed to have lost most of its viscosity; So from now on I will change it at every 100 miles or so...... and change the filter each time aswell. This is just cheap insurance. These bike have high performance engines and get worked pretty well with the trails I like to ride, so I'd rather change it too often rather than save a few bucks here and there.

Jesse

I never change my oil filter.

Ya, I have a Scott's and clean it every oil change.

Cleaning them is easy.... Hold it by the ends (plug the opening) and swish it around in a bowl of kerosene.

Inspect the pleats, and if there are any metal chips remaining, gently spray carb cleaner FROM THE INSIDE.

Remember... the inside is clean, the outside is dirty. Do not contaminate the inside, and always clean in a way that washes crap away from the outside.

I would not attempt to clean the stock brass mesh filters... they are way too fragile.

I change my filter every oil change. W/ regards to automotive engines which are based on the same principles as bikes most mechanics will tell you that you can probably let your oil go but change the filter often. I couldn't see draining dirty oil out and not putting a new filter in. I do agree that my XR filters look fairly decent when I change the oil though(150 or so miles in). However, it makes me feel better to change the filter each time. It's cheap insurance, IMO.

My take on re-usable stainless filters....Theres pros and cons there. Pro-save money in the long run. Those filters flow more PPM than paper style. Therefore when the filter gets dirty it won't prohibit/slow down the oil flow to your vital engine parts like a paper filter would.

Con-It flows more PPM than the paper style, therefore it flows more dirt and debris. I think the pros outweigh this. However, like I stated above I change my paper filters every oil change so it's really a non-issue for me. You can't judge a filters 'cleanliness' based upon how it looks on the outside(which most do). Cut that sucker open and have a look sometime. I bet people would change it everytime after that.

i think i have an oil filter obsession. i have kept all mine to show the next buyer of my bike and change intervals.

i always check whats coming out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/bluebike1999/filter_0968.jpg