Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MindBlower

BD kit, stock taillight still functioning

8 posts in this topic

Is it drawing enough current that I should disable it so all the juice goes to the BD taillight? I kind of like both of them lit up, but not if it's making the BD light less bright. Would pulling the bulb be enough or do I need to take off the wiring?

If you pull the bulb, you take all the load off so yeah, just pull it then if you want to replace it for more light you can. But, a 20 watt taillight bulb draws 20w or current! You dont need it with the bd led TAILLIGHT.

Yes, you do need it. The BD taillight shakes, rattles and vibrates pretty good back there. I go throught 2 to 4 taillight bulbs per riding season. I like to have the stock taillight (still on original bulb) as a backup in case I need to take roads home after dark.

I would like to get an LED replacement for the stock XR taillight. That would use less power, but still be there as a backup. Anyone have any idea on how to cross reference to find the appropriate LED bulb?

I have one on order. I will let you know. I bet it would at least dim less at low RPMs. I have a feeling the 35w bulb probably gets as bright as it gets at higher RPM. I am wondering if I could run a higher wattage headlight bulb with the stock stator if I had all LEDs elsewhere. Or I could just stop being a cheap bastard and spring for a rewound stator.

Yes, you do need it. The BD taillight shakes, rattles and vibrates pretty good back there. I go throught 2 to 4 taillight bulbs per riding season. I like to have the stock taillight (still on original bulb) as a backup in case I need to take roads home after dark.

I would like to get an LED replacement for the stock XR taillight. That would use less power, but still be there as a backup. Anyone have any idea on how to cross reference to find the appropriate LED bulb?

Good point. Auto stores have LED replacements for the 1157 running/stop bulbs, bet they have them for running only. :thumbsup:

I I am wondering if I could run a higher wattage headlight bulb with the stock stator if I had all LEDs elsewhere. Or I could just stop being a cheap bastard and spring for a rewound stator.

LOL, that's what I was wondering too. :thumbsup:

Who knows what the stock output is?

What's a rewound stator cost? Doesn't "seem" to complicated to do yourself from the instructions posted I've read, but I'm electrically ignorant..... :thumbsup:

I run a 55w Headlight and bougth a 1157 halo style led bulb not a normal LED because the only shine light out in one direction but the halo style shine 360 degrees and there is no power draw at all My lights DO NOT DIM AT A IDLE with the brake light on with a stock stator Also I tried a normal 1157 bulb and at a idle with the brake on my headlight looked like a candle behind wax paper. Search ebaymotors for a 1157 RED BULB HALO Love my pig! :thumbsup: